Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5CoolBeans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Why don't I want to do anything?
    I'm 55 and have been undergoing the typical stressors, pretty much consistently, for the past 11 years. I am now unemployed and should be writing resumes (I've done a few) and trying to start a business (just in case the resumes don't work)... but I find that day after day, I don't want to do anything except curl up in a ball and close my eyes. I am terribly hurt by the things that have occurred, but accept them. I just don't seem to be able to get on with my life, though. I'm usually organized and used to be a "go getter." Not anymore. I am on an anti-depressant (Lexapro) and an anti-anxiety (Lorazepam)... the dosages seem right. I don't get it. Why am I not doing anything. Could it be PTSS??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 08:46 AM
    I'm glad you posted here. A lot of people are going through the same thing, with and without meds.

Have you told this to your doctor who prescribed the meds?

I'll help you with the resumes and job hunting.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
    It's not an easy world to live in these days is it? The stress of day to day life seems to bog a lot of people down, so take comfort in knowing that you are not alone, even if it feels at times that you are.
    Depression can take a lot out of a person, emotionally, and physically.
    Try to stay on top of the physical at this time, to be as healthy as you can be, to feel good physically may help to pull you out.
    Just a quick history of my own not to diminish your situation just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
    I have always dealt with some depresstion and anxiety issues, but the past 10 years have been the worst.
    Left in a great deal of debt by my ex- husband, my two children and I set out to live our lives alone.
    This I was used to because I was a single parent before I met him, and I made sure we always had what we needed if it meant I had to work 2 and 3 jobs. That was not the problem.
    The problem was the extra debt.
    I developed stomach ulcers which were at times completely debilitating.
    I found that the worst I felt physically the worst shape I was in emotionally and vice versa.
    Given to breaking down in tears and being sullen and moody I tried to suck it up to no avail.
    I have had to resort to medication at times and realized that there is no shame in this.
    Sometimes had it not been for the meds and my children I would have never gotten out of bed again.
    I find myself at a place now where I am healing physically and my emotional well-being is taking an upward swing also, I still have the aid of the meds, as long as they help to put things in a positive perspective I will keep taking them.
    So please no matter what, take the best care you can of yourself, you are special, you are unique.
    And I bet if you look around it won't take you long to get up, get those resumes out there and get on with this thing we call life.
    And if at any time you don't feel that the meds are having the effect you need, by all means talk to your Doctor, there are many and what works well for one person may not work for another.
    In your favor is the fact that you are aware of a problem and sought help.
    Speaks volumes for you.
    I wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search