Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shefali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Weight loss
    I am 32 yrs old woman, height 5'2 ,
    I weigh 145 pounds,
    I exercise 5 times a week since 6 months,but have lost only 1 pound weight.I have lost 3 inches though.
    I want to know why am I not losing weight
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Well from what you have said that sounds about right.
    You must bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so what you are doing with all the exercise, is toning your body and burning off the fat but building up your muscles.
    This is indicated by the 3 inch lose.

If you are worried that you aren't losing weight speak to one of the trainers where you exercise, they will offer advice on good nutrition.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
    How have you changed your diet? Increasing foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, reducing starches, etc. are all ways to cut fat intake. Food preparation is a factor also - are you frying versus broiling? You can have some fats but there are healthy fats versus unhealthy fats. What is your sugar intake? Do you drink plenty of water each day? Sodas? Even diet sodas can sabotage a weight loss plan.

You can ask your doctor to refer you to a dietican or a nutrionist and they can help you with a meal plan for the appropriate calories you should be taking in. Good luck in your health pursuit! It is not easy.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Feb 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Women have it harder when it comes to losing weight. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Realistically, it all boils down to "calorie in vs calorie out" No complicated math needed. Count your calories that you eat in a day. Your body size probably needs no more then 1200 for maintenance or so. After 6 months time, there should have been more then 1 pound lost unless you bulked up like Hulk Hogan. Muscle does weigh more then fat. But normal women don't bulk up like men in general. Women tone up more then bulk up. Some muscle definition will be there but not like a man gets bulky. You didn't mention what kind of exercise you are doing? Hopefully, you are doing a variety. Alternate your muscle groups. Upper body one day, lower body the next, add some cardio and you should see some great progress. Good job on the loss of 3 inches. It will all be worth it if you are able to stick with your routine. --- Ace
    sjethro00 Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Feb 15, 2007, 06:10 PM
    What exercise do you do? If you're working out at a "club", then increase the workout. For example, if you're using exercise bikes, increase the difficulty and time slowly over time.

Also, it also depends upon what you eat and drink. Assuming if you drink regular soda, switch to diet. You can also switch to low-fat frozen dinners, they are convient, in-expensive. I don't know what your diet is, so I won't go further until I know.

I know many people, men and women who work out every day, and can not drop the weight, either due to diet or other reasons, so you're not alone.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shefali
    I am 32 yrs old woman, height 5'2 ,
    I weigh 145 pounds,
    I exercise 5 times a week since 6 months,but have lost only 1 pound weight.I have lost 3 inches though.
    I want to know why am i not losing weight
    If you know how many calories your eating everyday, it'd be a big help. Keep a journal for a couple of days and record everything and the amounts you eat, see what's good on your list and if your eating the 1 serving portion stating on the nutritional labels. A quick method to determine caloric needs is to use your current weight times a mulitplier: For fat loss= 13 calories per pound of body weight/145x13=1885, this is roughly what you should be taking away from your weekly caloric total. To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit by reducing your calories below your maintenance level. If your eating more calories than your expending, you simply will not lose fat no matter what foods you eat. The most common guideline I give is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but never more than 1000. (per day). You have to cut out sweets,lower salt intakes, don't add salt to your foods, fried foods and fast foods. processed foods. Use smaller portions then your use to, you can get use to it. Eat lots of natural fruits, veggies, legumes, lentils, lean meats, chicken with out skins, fish, baked or broiled. Cook with canola or olive oils, use cooking spreads or sprays for other cooking. Drink lots of water especially before meals. Cut out all drinks that contain high fructose corn syrup. Use 1-2% milk products, low fat, low sodium cheese products. Wheat grain bread, pasta and rice products. Start using yogurts or frozen yogurts for treats. Nuts and dried fruits will carry you over instead of candy bars and chips. For lunches make a big fat sandwich on wheat bread or rolls stuffed with lettuces, tomatoes, sprouts, onions, whatever in the veggie dept. and use low fat dressings. The most important advice I can give is to learn how to read nutritional labels, go by there 1 serving advice. On a 2000 calorie diets 5% DV is low (good); 20% or more is high, so keep this in mind. Limit fat, saturate fats, transfat, cholestrol and sodium. And keep on exercising!! Aerobics and weights 30-60 minutes per session, 4-5 x a week. Good foods and exercise are the secret to weight loss, you can do it, don't give up, just re-evaluate! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight Loss [ 4 Answers ]

Is It Bad That I Have Lost 25 Pounds In One Month... I Do Weight Watchers So I Eat Healthy, Then I Skip Meal, Then On Top Of That I Take Weight Loss Pills And On Top Of That I Have Been Doing The Cottage Cheese Diet Where If I Do Eat I Eat Nothing But Plain Low Fat Cottage Cheese!! How Bad Is That...

Weight loss [ 1 Answers ]

I used to be very thin probably too thin I was 6 1/2 stone at 18. I didn't eat very much at all because I liked the weight I was at and every time I put on weight I felt repulsive. I sort of got over this when I seen some photos and I went up to a healthy 9 1/2 stone (I am 5"4) I have recently...

LA weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone have any thoughts on LA weight loss program? Counselors training, etc. Is the program worth the $.

Are there natural products that aid in Weight loss? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there anything out there that helps with weight loss that is a "Natural" product? Please don't tell me about the "Self Control" pill or "Just stop eating" pill. I am grossly overweight and need to start on some kind of plan so I can slowly lose the extra weight over a year or so. Thanks...

Weight loss [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, for the last 2 years I have been trying without any success to lose weight. Am not overweight but it seems impossible for me to loose even 2 kgs. Have tried weight watcher, south beach diet... Would it be possible that I do have problems with my tyroid and who should I consult for that?

View more questions Search