Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 09:38 PM
    Mommy Dearest
    In the movie Mommy Dearest, portraying the childhood of Christina Crawford living with her adopted mother Joan Crawford, what was her son wearing and what was it for? It was a harness type thing that he always wore, and at bed time it held him down to the bed. Was it a common 'safety measure' for adventurous children back in those days, or was it just more of the mental insanity that was Joan Crawford?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 PM
    It was Joan Crawford's overly nutsy idea that poor Christopher be confined to bed at night. No it was not a common safety measure to be used like that. It was a child's harness used for when the child was outside the home to ensure they did not run off or get lost. She just happily misused this item.

When my son was little he was not a hand holder type kid. I had to use one of these harnesss on him as the Adam Walsh incident had just happened in South Florida and I did not want him snatched in a store from me.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Ahh thank you. I did use the harness with my duaghter when she was little and we were in crowded places. I just couldn't understand why the boy was tied down to the bed as well. It seemed cruel!

I love the movie, for movies sake, but the woman really makes me mad.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
    Joan Crawford was an extremely over controlling individual who had to be obeyed or else. I've read several books about her, not just Christina's book, and she was a real nasty individual. I guess she must have been an undiagnosed bipolar to act like she did in a lot of different instances. Everything her way - or else! She spent money without abandon and henpecked her nice husbands. You need to read a book about her to really understand her twisted mind.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Her own mother was also very abusive, very lazy and very slobby, which is what caused joan to be so neurotic, was her mother was VERY un neurotic (to the point of that show 'how dirty is your house'
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 04:35 PM
    ERR How CLEAN is your house
    Billyblob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
    There were several types of harnesses and reasons for using them, like Christopher's. There was a baby harness sold way back called, "Sleep Safe". It was used to make sure small children, mostly babies would not fall out of a bed. A crib was not always used or handy, so the harness would let mom have some peace of mind. There were also harnesses for children, more like the one Christopher wore, to keep a child in the pram or stroller. It would keep the baby from falling out, or getting up and out. These same type, and harnesses like it are still used to keep babies and children from wandering to far while walking. When I was young I had one called, a Zip A Babe harness. So named for the zipper in the back of the harness. I know some people and institutions that have also used these types of harness to help keep challenged children, who get out of bed in there beds. Sometimes sleepwalking children would be put in a bed harness. In the past, they have been very much misused, and sometime misunderstood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A New Mommy [ 4 Answers ]

What do I do? I just had my baby a week ago and I'm breast feeding him and baby daddy wants to take him to he's mom's house.. I keep on telling him no to understand that he is small but he says he doesn't give a **** what I say... he's never helped me with anything for the baby.. and some times...

I'm a mommy. [ 6 Answers ]

I had a beautiful baby boy on Sept. 19th.. he is premature.. 11 weeks to be exact.. he is a little fighter.. I had some complactions and the dr didn't want to risk my life to carry him full term... but he is doing so wonderful.. breathing on his own and all.. he was born at 28 weeks and 3 days.. he...

Mother Dearest [ 4 Answers ]

Well I don't really have a mental or emotional problem, unless hating your mother is a emotional problem. Which I can fully understand it being so. Yet the fact remains that I truly, and whole heartedly hate my mother. Id rather there be no feelings, but sadly its just pure blinding hate. I won't...

View more questions Search