Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Aug 17, 2011, 07:35 AM
    How can I teach myself Chemistry on a college grade level?
    I'm looking online for tutorials to read and other literature. I'm wanting to teach myself chemistry and CLEP out of the "basics" to go for more advance classes in college. (Also it'll save me a lot of money and time.) However, online I'm not seeing any tutorials other than at Pink Monkey Chemistry. After reading through it, it looks more like high school stuff. Is this what I should be expecting for the basic classes?

Questions are:
    1. Where can I find literature that I don't have to pay too much for (I'm broke ) to teach myself chemistry
    2. If I do have to pay for it, what books would you recommend?
    3. Are the basic classes at college refresh of high school?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 07:50 AM
    A general chemistry class at a good college is nothing like high school. The first couple of classes may be a refresher, but the rest is new material. (at least it was in the ancient time of 2003) Additionally, general chemistry is usually a year long course of study with the second semester based very heavily on the foundation of the first. Anything text that is going to offer college level material is going to be expensive. I would suggest that you contact the college you intend to submit these exams to for credit, find out what book they use in general chemistry and buy it used.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 08:50 AM

Yes, it is like extreme sports high school, nothing the same,
    And at least mine ( OK want to talk ancient back in 1975)

But you buy the same book used in the college class, and also the lab book ( there will be normaly a lab class to match up with the regular class) And learn it
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 12:11 PM

I'm assuming that you have already taken chemistry in high school - correct? If so, and you did well, then you can probably place out of first semester chemistry in college by just doing a bit of review and taking the test. That's what I did way, way back in 1974 (got you beat Fr_Chuck!). The material taught in first semseter college chemistry is not that much different than high school - they just cover material a lot faster. One semester of college level chemistry is about equivalent to a full year of high school chemistry.
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Aug 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Well, technically I did take it. I'm home schooled, so I buy books read them and learn the material that way. I've done done some lab stuff as well. I had this really awesome chemistry book, it was a 2008 edition (new at the time) and it was amazing. The author's name escapes me at the moment, but I had to sell it to buy more books. My classes aren't very traditional in a sense. I typically like to buy the teachers edition because it gives answered as well. So, according to the tests in the book and some I found on the website to accompany the book I scored fairly well. Typically in the 95+ percentile. Same with whatever standardized test they wanted me to take.

I'll probably take the rote of visiting some thrift/book shoppes. I could probably check the public library, as long as the material is fairly recent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college [ 1 Answers ]

MCA degree holder can teach in polytechnic college in india

How to teach chemistry [ 4 Answers ]

I work now as chemistry teacher in a matriculation school.The students are not interested to listen chemistry class and so they score less marks in my subject. Please guide me. Tell me the way, how to create interest on chemistry.

Coefficient Ratio's (11th Grade Chemistry) [ 1 Answers ]

Word Equations Write the word equations below as chemical equations and balance. Those are my teachers instructions. I have tried my best to do these equations. I have already done most of them and I think they are all wrong. I need help with four of them. 1. Aluminum bromide + chlorine...

Physics, Grade 12 Level [ 2 Answers ]

I have three Physics questions that I need help with: 1) A tire makes 65 revolutions while slowing from 100km/h to 80km/h, the tire's radius is 40 cm, how much time will it take to stop if it keeps slowing at a constant rate? 2) There is a 70kg man standing on a beam that is 100kg. There is...

View more questions Search