Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cocobabyjune16 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2011, 10:17 PM
    Wondergirl please stop commenting. Your help is no longer needed on this thread.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocobabyjune16 View Post
    Wondergirl please stop commenting. Your help is no longer needed on this thread.
    When you post on a public site such as this, you have no right to dictate who or who will not respond to your posts. WG has given wonderful advice, it's just the advice you don't want to hear. We are not here to sugar coat, but to give the best honest advice we can. If you don't like it, well, then I'm sorry.

Aug 18, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Those are statements not even advice.I don't need people sitting here just talking bad about me. I GET what I did was awful and I will have to pay the consequences. I really thought this was a good site... I came here for advice and only a few people have provided me with it. So I thank those people who actually GAVE me advice, and didn't just put down a statement. And WG gave no advice, besides telling me how to spell, which is off topic... So I mean you it's a public thread if people want to waste their time just posting stuff that's irrelevant or not helful to me w.e. But please I'm asking for people to take this serious and give advice I don't care of it's good or bad I just need the advice
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Those are statements not even advice.I don't need people sitting here just talking bad about me.
    No one is talking bad about you.The advice from several of us is to be an adult and tell your parents, because they will eventually find out and be even angrier because you lied (yes, not telling is lying, lying by omission). I also advised you on how court might go. I've dealt with offenders and their POs and also supervised community service for over ten years.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 09:01 AM
    The only reason you should tell your parents is just so you can eat and sleep again. Other than that it's your call. It's your right to remain silent, it's not lying in the eyes of the law. But realistically, if you still decide not to tell them, you need to prepare for when and if they find out.

I already told you what to expect in court, but I did forget to mention you should dress professional, be confident and offer concise answers. Don't apologize or volunteer an explanation because there's never a good reason to commit a crime, just answer his questions with brevity, which, most likely will only be "are you guilty? Yes? Okay, step aside. Next defendant please come forward". The whole ordeal, from the time you walk up to the table before the judge to the time you leave the courtroom, will be about 20 minutes, most of the time will be spent waiting.

Now on to my opinion: the fact you show remorse for your crime speaks for itself. Punk kids who get the book thrown at them are the ones that just don't care, clearly you're not one of these. There will be people who will try to convince you that this crime will follow you all your life as if you were a hardened criminal; it won't. And again, I repeat, the court will not send you anything in the mail, they will only hand you documents or speak to you in person, Macy's could send a letter, but that's it.

We all make mistakes and bad decisions, and if your parents were born with any shred of reason they'll understand that. And if they don't, well, it's time to move out and stay out.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
    I'm sorry to disillusion you slapshot but the Court DOES send paperwork to the home address given if the defendant does not have an attorney. How else would they be notified to come to court?

And you, OP are going to have to keep on edge until your folks get the notification in the mail to show up to court. Then the doodoo is going to hit the fan big time.

You obviously don't have much of a relationship with your folks if you are terrified of them cancelling out your college education. What makes you so special to think they would not hit the ceiling over this and "forgive" you for getting a criminal record? You now have a misdemeanor theft record that will come back to haunt you forever unless you have this expunged in about 10 years. No one wants to hire a known thief and you may just be completely barred from some jobs due to this. Some future to look forward to being young and dumb.

You did the crime, now man up and do the time or consequences.

We are all volunteers on his site and are free to answer ANY thread we wish with our advice or opinion.

Not to get us wrong, but we as a rule don't coddle criminals but give them a good dose of reality. I think we would have given you the same advice and moral lecture regardless if this was a shoplifting offense or a much more serious crime.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I'm sorry to disillusion you slapshot but the Court DOES send paperwork to the home address given if the defendant does not have an attorney. How else would they be notified to come to court?
    Huh?

I already explained this, but I love reading my own posts, so I'll gladly oblige.

The summons for the preliminary hearing is provided to the suspect at the police station after the suspect has been booked (i.e. mugshot, fingerprints, police report written up, etc.). And then, at the preliminary hearing, if another court date is requested or needed, the suspect is handed another summons at the courthouse.

The OP isn't fighting a traffic violation where court is optional, she got arrested and is a criminal suspect, hence, court is mandatory. The court will make sure the suspect knows when to appear and gives the suspect enough time to make preparations for that appearance. There is no mail involved, ever.

I close my argument with a very simple question: what if the suspect doesn't have an address? Where would the courthouse send the summons to? Homeless people—who, most likely, can't afford an attorney so this fits in with your example—are also arrested and are afforded the same right to a fair and speedy trial because we live in a great nation.

I rest my case.

Slapshot Law 101.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    The court will make sure the suspect knows when to appear
    How will the court do that?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Not all courts hand out summons at hearings or the police department. In Ohio and Florida the summons are mailed. It's up to the defendant to ensure the court has the right address to send this to. The defendants's appearance may be postponed and they notify by mail of the new dates.

I wouldn't be wrong to say that most defendants DO give wrong addresses for whatever reason but their attorneys get the SAME notification and the attorney notifies the defendant via phone. If you have no attorney and fail to give correct address then you will have a warrant out for your arrest if you don't show up.

I don't want to ding you slapshot but could you please give us a source as to where you are gleaning this misinformation from?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Well, twinkie is right. I did research for Florida, Ohio and Massachusetts and a summons can be handed in person, dropped off or sent to last known address in lieu of an arrest, and I believe that is what happened to the OP. Clearly, this only happens with misdemeanors or traffic violations, all felonies you're getting cuffed for.

Aug 19, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Thank you slapshot, macyes is handled, and my parents won't understand they will just Beat me. Me going to school 3hrs away is my moving out.

Aug 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
    I appreciate all advice, this is eating away at me and it sucks:( I messed up... please continue with advice
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
    I appreciate all advice, this is eating away at me and it sucks:( I messed up.....please continue with advice
    What's eating away at you? You say you have all your ducks in a row. Advice for what?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Slapshot, it is common in many places for shop lifting, which is not considered a major crime. For them at the time of being stopped to receive anything, if they do it will be a ticket. Normally they are not given a date and time to appear at the police station for photo and prints ( if done) They will be mailed a notice to appear or the officer takes it to their home. If a court date is set at that point they will be notified, but it may not be set yet. And of course if there is a change in the court date, ( very possible) they will also be notified by mail.

Also normally there are dozens of attorneys who watch arrest or court records and will start sending letters to your home wanting to represent you. So after getting about 3 letters from lawyer offices the parents may have a few questions
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
    The only real advice is that you stand up, be a grown up, stop acting like a 10 year old and tell them what happened.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Well, twinkie is right. I did research for Florida, Ohio and Massachusetts and a summons can be handed in person, dropped off or sent to last known address in lieu of an arrest, and I believe that is what happened to the OP. Clearly, this only happens with misdemeanors or traffic violations, all felonies you're getting cuffed for.
    Slapshot I was a paralegal in South Florida and in Ohio so I think I'd know the drill. And Chuck is correct about the attorneys sending out letters prior to the hearing dates. They do this as their bread and butter.

My advice for OP - GROW UP, tell your folks and take your punishment. If they find out after you have left for college didn't it dawn on you they CAN cancel your college but they can't get a refund for whatever tuition that has been paid so far but they can refuse to pay for anything in the future.

You have to grow up sometime, why not NOW? And you need to start saving up for the possible expungement of your conviction. You need to stay arrest free for at least 10 years and then you can approach the court for the expungement which may take up to 9 months to go through. Judges are not in any huge hurry to grant expungements even if presented by an atttorney (which you will have to have). So start saving up while working any job you can get in the meantime.

Aug 19, 2011, 09:48 PM
    I have had a job for a 2 years, and I save my money. So any fees wilm be on me. My parents reay don't need this, my dads going through radiation for his cancer. They need no more bills so I'm trying to handle this myself. I'm trying to be grown up about this. All fees I will handle. I was only asking what will happen when I walk in the court room:/.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2011, 09:56 PM
    Your parents don't have health insurance? I went through radiation for cancer about a year ago and could never have paid for it out of my own pocket.

I'm a mom with two kids. Even if I were at death's door, I'd want to know what either of them did wrong. That would break my heart, if they would think they couldn't tell me something like this. I'd feel like a failure of a parent.

Aug 21, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Well my parents are a bit different. If I knew the wouldn't completely kill me maybe theirs a slight chnace I would tell them. Just an example of how my parents are( when my brother was 17 years old he accidentally said the word damn in front of my mom, she got out a belt... And I'm sure u know the rest) my parents are not the nicest people

Aug 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
    The insurance covers radiation but not the medicine:/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parents and grand parents [ 2 Answers ]

are there any laws in pa say that stepparents nad grandparents have right to say what goes in my child's life ?

What happens at a military hearing to see if parents of an infant are fit parents [ 3 Answers ]

My grandbaby was born in a military hospital. When he was about 3 weeks old he had to be taken back to hospital because of not gaining weight. While there, the hospital filed a complaint with social services about the care of him. The baby was malnurished, unclean, they had no car seat to take...

Dealing with parents and parents in law [ 5 Answers ]

Im getting married soon. Both parties wants us to have a little service of sorts. Praying etc. The only problem is I don't believe in any religion. I was brought up to be a christian but a few years ago came to the realisation that its all misinformation. I have tried explaing to the parents we...

Wwhat to do if you want to leave your parents and join another family withou parents [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do when I want to leave my family and join another at 16-years old?

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

View more questions Search