Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BLReynolds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
    My email address is sending out spam mail. How do I stop this?
    I have had several friends notify me that my email address is sending out a lot of spam. When I looked in my sent mail there were tons of mails sent to people I do not even know. How do I stop this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 05:13 PM

Do you happen to have AOL? If you do that is your answer. Ditch AOL and you won't have any more strange email problems or connection problems either.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Aug 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
    If this happens to be an online mail service like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. then it's likely that your password has been stolen or hacked. Changing it to something difficult to guess should hopefully fix the problem.

If you're using a locally installed email program (such as Outlook, for example), on the other hand, and the spam shows up in your sent items box, then it sounds like you have a virus on your computer. If you have anti-virus software, you should try downloading the latest updates, rebooting in Safe mode (do you know how to do that? If not, just Google "safe mode" and you should find plenty of pages explaining how), then running a virus sweep. If you don't have anti-virus software, you should download one of the free ones, such as AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Then install, reboot in Safe Mode, and run the virus scan. Once the scan is finished (and hopefully finds something and cleans it), you can reboot back into normal mode and hopefully the problem will be gone.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 07:23 PM

Run some good viurs programs, and normally it will only send it to people on your emai list. Also go in and change your password.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is sending an email to all patients to announce the new office address a hippa violat [ 1 Answers ]

Is sending an email to all patients without blind cc to announce the new office address a hippa violation?

Someone has hacked my email address book and is sending spam email to addresses in [ 2 Answers ]

Someone has hacked into my email address book and is sending spam to addresses from my book. How can I stop this?

Error sending email with Vista (windows mail) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding trying to attachments. Whenever I try to send something or sometimes I try to reply on certain things I have a box that comes up and won't ever let me send anything. Why? This is what the box comes up and says: host XXX could not be found, subject, account, POP3...

View more questions Search