Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gayheartlf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Manufactured home title
    I purchased a manfactured home in Kentucky and the seller delivered and set it up in Tennessee. They did not finish the set up and also went out of business. I never got a title and can not find the seller/company. I have the Serial number and the make and model. What can I do to get a title?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 03:07 PM

There has to be a paper trail in order to set this up. Start first with your county tax assessor's office. There had to be permits pulled in order to move the home and also set it up in a location in your county. The manufacturer will be listed on this paperwork. You need to contact the manufacturer and explain your plight. They can then issue a duplicate MCO manufacturer certificate of origin paperwork for you so you can take to the DMV and get your title issued.

There also should be a 8 1/2 X 11" white piece of paper inside either the kitchen cabinet over the stove or in the masterbedroom closet stating the wind/snow loads of your home. It will also give the manufacturer's name and address.

Don't you have any paperwork stating which manufacturer you ordered this home from? I find it hard to believe you don't know the maker of this home. It should be located somewhere on the outside of the home as well along with the serial number metal tag located in the corner area near the lower portion of the home near the skirting.

Who financed this for you? Or did you buy cash?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 07:34 PM

I will assume you have a bill of sale and other sale paperwork proving you paid for the home in full ?

Was there a loan on the home though some bank or lender ?

The biggest fear at this point is if the seller had liens against the homes or other issue, and there is another party with claim to the home.
    tracy6413 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Sep 1, 2011, 09:35 PM
    To make changes to a manufactured home, you MUST contact your county taxation/assessment office to have these changes processed.If you bought your home from a private party (not new) things can get a little difficult but I'll bet your state will be more than willing to take your money and give you a new title (and registration document). Luckily you have evidence of being the legal owner due to your finance company.

Good luck!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tracy6413 View Post
    To make changes to a manufactured home, you MUST contact your county taxation/assessment office to have these changes processed.If you bought your home from a private party (not new) things can get a little difficult but I'll bet your state will be more than willing to take your money and give you a new title (and registration document). Luckily you have evidence of being the legal owner due to your finance company.

Good luck!!
    The DMV issues titles. The Auditor's offices DOES NOT issue titles. They are only concerned in the ongoing future revenue the home generates for their county.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manufactured home title [ 23 Answers ]

My mortgage company states they do not have a title for my manufactured home and neither do I. The NCDOT states that a title was never filed with them. The place where I bought my home is no longer in business. I am wanting to sell my home but can't without a title. What are my options?

Title-manufactured-home [ 0 Answers ]

I have a manufactured home and I live in it with a lady.It is titled in my name and hers with the word or in between.Now is it possible to take my name off it and ad one of my kids name to it or put my half into a trust.It is in Florida in a 55+ community.thank you

No title for manufactured home [ 2 Answers ]

My renters want to buy my manufactured home. I do not have a title - when I bought it was sold to me as real estate. I went to motor vehicle dept applied for title - since no title was ever issued, I was told motor vehicle would not issue title for real estate. Mgf'd company is out of business -...

Title for a manufactured home [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a manufactured home and have yet to receive proof that I purchased this home. The dealer made me fill out a form for a license yet the department of licensing has no proof of this. I have owned it since December I want to find out how to make them get me my documents

View more questions Search