Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2ba4t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Whale blowholes compared to the nasal orifices in their skulls:
    Whale blowholes compared to the nasal orifices in their skulls:
    No one in the world has even tried to answer this yet!
    What are the relative positionings of the actual surface blowhole of whales when compared to the specific location of the nasal orifice(s) in the bone of the skull.
    The sperm whale has an interesting anomaly in that its skull has a nasal skull hole in front of the eyes ( similar to the extinct aetiocetus ) leading to a blow hole right at the front of its head (muzzle).
    Why did its nasal skull hole not move back to the front of its skull in line with its surface blow hole which presumably having moved back ancestrally, then moved forward as the sperm oil and huge melon structures evolved.
    I need a clear diagram showing the position of the nasal orifice in the skulls of different modern whales and if poss the aetiocetus and other protowhales.
    Simply cannot find this anywhere in details showing exactly the nasal skull holes compared to the eyes.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
    I consulted a friend of mine about your question, and this is what I got :)

Hello Jerry. Sorry its been a while. I've been very busy.

That is a tough question. I assume it was due to their special ability. They are deep diver's, because they can hold their breath for over an hour, and that is where most of their favourite food lies.

Because there is no light in the depths, the only way to locate their prey, is via a their special ability, which is in fact making a clicking sort of noise. Not like dolphins. It is a unique clicking noise made in their nasal passage of which is the loudest sound that can be made by any living animal. If Sperm whales lived on land, the sound they make is in fact louder than a Thunder strike. If a sperm whale "clicks" at you, you may as well have been kicked in the stomach by a horse.

This clicking noise is made so powerful, because it moves in almost a directly straight line. Almost like a laser pointer. Unlike a dolphin which can use its echo abilities to scan the entire area around it. If the force of the clicks is to move in a straight line, directly in front of them. The nasal passage must be located at the tip of their nose.

This is a diagram showing where the clicks originate from, and which path they take.

The dark blue shaded area is where the clicks erupt from. They travel back wards through the nasal passage, and loop around to where the shock waves travel through the muscle above the mouth, and pass through the skin.

I suppose it was a useful evolution. The whales with a more frontal positioned nasal passage where much more accurate hunters. The "primitive" sperm whales died out, to leave the ones we see today.

If anything dosen't make sense, give me a buzz.
    I hope that will be okay for you :)
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 31, 2011, 02:45 AM
    Well done. Yet again.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XR80 - How to clean gas orifices [ 0 Answers ]

My Trane XR80, horizontal, upflow, propane hot air furnacehas a yellow, feathery flame on the lowest burner. This also causes a back draft (roll out?) on that burner with the door in place. With the door off it burns just fine, I had it burning for half an hour this afternoon. How do I clean the...

Are you a mermaid or a whale? [ 6 Answers ]

Mermaids and Whales -- Recently, in a large French city, a poster featuring a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the window of a gym. It said: "THIS SUMMER DO YOU WANT TO BE A MERMAID OR A WHALE?" A middle-aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match those of the woman on the...

Whirlpool LP Orifices [ 3 Answers ]

My wife has been complaining that our Whirlpool Gas Range Model SF362LXTQ 0 takes way too long to boil a pot of water on the 2 large burners, compared to other gas ranges she has used. Because we are on an LP gas system, I wondered if the installers on our 1 year old Manufactured home had...

Whale rabies [ 1 Answers ]

If whales are mammals then couldn't they theoreticly get rabies? Haha mabey that's were sea foam comes from. Just kidding.

View more questions Search