Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    credithelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Credit co's have how long to post a charge?
    We had a service provided 50% up front and remaining at completion. The initial 50% was charged and paid for. 0 balance on the card. Once the job was completed we signed the additional forms to have the remaining balance charged to the card. To date, 10 months have gone by and the charge has never appeared. We have had several conversations with the company asking them to send a receipt once charged, but have received nothing.

What I would like to know is... DOES THERE COME A POINT WHEN THE COMPANY CAN NO LONGER CHARGE AN ACCOUNT? THEY HAVE HAD 10 MONTHS SO FAR... DOES IT JUST GO ON INDEFINITELY?

I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE AVAILABLE CREDIT FOR ANOTHER HOME IMPROVEMENT BUT WORRY THAT THE COMPANY COULD JUST DECIDE ONE DAY TO CHARGE THE CARD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 12:44 PM
    That seems mighty strange. Is the balance in dispute? Do they think you owe them more than you originally contracted for?

I wouldn't spend that money that you have allocated for this just yet. My suggestion would be to send a certified letter to the company. Tell them: It has been 10 months and numerous phone calls later since the work was completed, and I have yet to see the final balance due to you, show up on my credit card statement. If you do not submit the balance due to the credit card company as we both agreed you would do, within 30 days of the date of this letter, please be advised that I will assume that the debt has been cleared and that no balance is due and owing your company for (whatever the work was). Within the context of the letter, mention the contract date and total amount and whatever it was that you contracted them for. I would address the letter to the person who you contracted with. If someone else is handling their billing, they may have screwed up and the owner/contractor needs to know about it. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It wouldn't be ethical and the legal system wouldn't be on your side, if you just ignore it completely and spend the money on something else without making a last attempt. Keep the copy of the letter you sent, attached the certified receipts and put it away. Then, if after 60 days you hear nothing, you have given them an extra month and you can go ahead & do other work if you so choose. If they choose to charge later on the down the road, you have the letter to show the credit card company. But please keep this in mind, I don't think it will 100%fully protect you. The bottom line is, let's say in 90 days they get their act together and charge you. They could still possibly come after you with either a small claim lawsuit or simply place a lien on the property. It doesn't guarantee a judge won't side with them but in most cases, if they let this go too long, you do the right thing and have proof you made an attempt to contact and pay, a judge will tell them, too bad buddy. You had your chance and you blew it.

Hope this helps. Someone else here may have another solution so I would suggest waiting to hear from others before making your decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long should I charge my new cell phone battery? [ 24 Answers ]

I have had the worst luck with new cell phones. I buy them, let the battery die, and then charge it until it is fully charged. After I do this it seems that the battery is so crappy. I have to constantly charge my new phone and the battery only lasts less then 10 hours. I need help!! If anyone...

Is it going to work? (warning: VERY LONG post) [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was just surfing the net to find some advice about relationship issues I have been having and came across this site and seemed like a good place to start and get opinions from people who have been through what I am going through and can share their advice. I am in a...

Credit Card Judgment following Charge-Off [ 0 Answers ]

If a credit company has "Charged-Off" a balance as reflected on a credit bureau report, Does this imply that they will not be seeking a judgment? Will I receive WRITTEN documentation in the event a judgment is filed? It is my understanding that under Texas law a credit card company cannot...

Think it's to late? Extremely long post. [ 8 Answers ]

Man I have to say I wish I would have found this site earlier. From the beginning. My ex and I have been together for 2 1/2 years now. I am in the military and she is full time nursing student. We are about 5 hours away and see each other 2-3 weekends a month. I am 24 and she is just about 21. I...

Credit card charge back for breach of contract [ 2 Answers ]

I am disputing charges made on my credit card for services that a consultant promised to provide but did not provide (breach of contract)... a "charge back" was requested by me, and made to the vendor from mastercard. Documentaion was sent by the vendor, and a counter response, and evidence was...

View more questions Search