Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
    Do you have to pay sales tax on a used car in Georgia if you buy from a dealer?
    Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy a used car from a dealer in Georgia? If so, what is the tax rate? Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy a used car from a private individual?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 15, 2011, 01:58 AM
    From what I can gather from the GA DMV site, you don't pay sales tax on used vehicles bought from private parties. Dealers have to charge sales tax at the rate set for your county for any purchase. Then you have a $20 tag fee and an $18 title fee. Different counties in GA have different rules about going in person or not, and some even have a 'vehicle ad valorum' tax, so ask at your DMV.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 10:34 AM

If you don't go in yourself or if there is two people on title, and only one goes in, you will need a POA for the other one to do the title for the other person. *** I have fought that one for years in three counties in GA.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Yes, you do need to pay sales tax on dealer sales. Tax rate depends on the county. Officially GA is 4% but local option can raise it to 7%. In Cherokee Cty, where I live, it's 6%. Ad Valorem is not added to the sales price. If you buy from a private party, you pay $38 for the time up to your birthday. Upon renewal the Ad Valorem is added to the total bill. For my CRV and Frontier, the AV is about $400. At least it is tax deductible on your 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car... [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car and I would like some hints/pointers on how to get the best deal possible. Please help!

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize and what if you itemize?

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

My child's day care provider refuses to give me the social security number or ein. Can I still file for the credit for taking care of the child?

Car Dealer sales [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is 88. She had a stroke and elderly. Went to car dealer and they sold her a 2009 used car. She doesn't have a Drivers License and they sold it to her anyway. She paid cash. When My husband saw the car one week later he notice the car had been in a accident before my mom bought it. They...

Sold my car to a car dealer Now He won't pay [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very fustrated... I bought a used car from my boyfriends friend I gave 5000 as down payment a finished to pay the car in less then the agreed time... I had to go out of the country for an emergency and that is why I paid of the car before the estimated time... I traded in my old car gave him a...

View more questions Search