Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    precious921 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Feb 1, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Adoption process?
    How long does it take to finalize an adoption?
    Is it finalized the day I signed the papers or is it finalized once the birthfather signs papers as well?

Also does anyone know where the court proceeding would go on if
    The child was born in Ny but now
    Has been in Illonois for about 4 months??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 10:58 AM
    An attorney needs to really give you that info for your area, if the state is invovled there has to be home inspections and then a final hearing before the judge. But it is not final until the judge signs the adoption paperwork.

But again even at "final" there are many cases where the mother and esp the father have challenged adoptions several years latter and won, so final is not truly a legal word in adoptions.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
    You need a lawyer.

Adoption is "finalized" when the court recognizes the adoptive parents as the legal parents of the child... generally 6 months after the child is placed with them, but that varies from state to state.

If you have signed away your rights (which I seem to remember you have, from another thread), the ONLY way you will get them back is to prove coercion. You need a lawyer.

The biological father (if I remember correctly) just recently found out that the child is his. He needs a lawyer.

Which state has jurisdiction will be determined by which state has jurisdiction over the child... probably the state the child was born in, but not necessarily.

GET A LAWYER.

Feb 1, 2007, 11:40 AM
    OK thank you for your advice I'm in the process of getting a lawyer
    ashly1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by precious921
    how long does it take to finalize an adoption?
    is it finalized the day i signed the papers or is it finalized once the birthfather signs papers as well?

also does anyone know where the court proceeding would go on if
    the child was born in Ny but now
    has been in Illonois for about 4 months???
    How do I get custady of kids that are not mine?

Feb 5, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashly1
    how do i get custady of kids that are not mine?

I'm not adopting I'm trying to figure out when an adoption is finalized

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption process [ 4 Answers ]

Looking for ANY helpful information (or tips) from anyone who has been through the adoption process. There are so many agencies and types of adoption (international, open, etc) that we are finding it difficult to get started. Our loving and caring family (husband/wife and 6 year old child) wants...

Adoption process [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in New York and I'm not really sure how the adoption process goes and I would really appreciate a little help. My ex and I were together for a couple of years. She had a beautiful daughter who I took in as my own. We are on good terms. We aren't together anymore but we have an...

Process [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start the process of applying

Healing Process [ 3 Answers ]

I went to my first counseling session yesterday, and it went well. It was just a bunch of questions about everything (from childhood up to present day) to lay the foundation of where my real problems stem from. As good as I feel about starting the process of mending my marriage, I feel terrible...

Process costing [ 0 Answers ]

BB, partially complete TO = 20,000 units EI = 10,000 units (materials 20% complete; conversion costs 10% complete) Started this month 25,000 Compute the number of equivalent units for materials using the weighted average method. Please help... I cannot get this! Thanks

View more questions Search