Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vatriguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2011, 04:36 AM
    Unable to renew the IP address
    I recently reformatted my HD, and when I went to get online, my wireless connection no longer works. I can connect to the network just fine, but I get the notice that there is "limited or no connectivity." I can get online running an ethernet cable from my router to my PC. I have reset the router, but to no avail. When I try to repair the connection via the Network Connections option under Control Panel, I get an error message saying, "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: renewing your IP address." when I try to renew the IP address via the command prompt, I get an error saying, "An error occurred while renewing interface wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I get the same problem with two different routers--a Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys WRT160N. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for both my wireless card and the routers. Any suggestions on how to get the wireless connection working again? Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 13, 2011, 08:50 AM
    Check you encryption key
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Can you ping your network card?

In a CMD prompt try this command
    Ping 127.0.0.1
    If you get a response then your NIC should be fine, and the issue is elsewhere
    If not the issue is coming from your NIC. You stated that you recently reformatted your PC. Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed for your NIC?

You could also try releasing your IP before renewing it.. I realize that you don't have an IP to begin with but it's worth a shot try this command
    Ipconfig /release (enter)
    Ipconfig /renew

Also make sure you have no other software installed that is meant for connecting to wireless networks. This will interfere with the windows default service. In your services manager (found by righ-clicking on my computer and choosing manage) go to services -> scroll through the list until you find the service called wireless zero configuration.. If it is stopped right click and start it. If it is running right-click and stop it then right-click and start it again (you should probably reboot after this as well). Let me know if any of that works
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Sep 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Go into your preferred networks and delete the connection you're trying to access. After doing this, try and connect to this connection again. You will be prompted to re-enter your passphrase (if applicable).

The reason I say this is because it's not likely your router(s) if you can connect physically. This shows us that DHCP works fine and it's an issue with your PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't Renew IP address [ 3 Answers ]

I often loose connection from my PC to the wireless router. Normally I restart my router and the communication starts again. But now some of my PC can’t connect. I can see the wireless point and the signal strengths in the PC, looking at the router is “very good”. I have used the "repair" and...

Renew IP address [ 5 Answers ]

While un-installing Norton, and installing MacAfee, something happened to my network settings. Spy-bot was asking questions about to allow or deny different things, so I might have clicked on the wrong thing. Anyway, now my computer won't connect to the internet, and I get a Low or no connectivity...

Unable to renew IP Address when using wireless [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a desk top, and I have installed a wireless card in it. I am unable to connect to wireless and when I try to repair the connection, it is unable to renew my IP address. The computer connects fine when hooked up to LAN. I am certain the security key was entered correctly, and I have...

Unable to Renew IP Address [ 3 Answers ]

To All: After several years of reliable service, my laptop suddenly is unable to connect to my home wireless network. I was given the "Limited or no connectivity" error. When I attempted to use the repair... it kept stopping because it was unable to renew my IP address. My router and modem...

I can't renew my ip address! [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal guys, I'm using a laptop now using someone else's internet since my desktop ain't working. The problem is with the desktop, it cannot renew the ip address! The modem is working fine and has ALL the lights blinking, everything is working. The network connections lan says its...

View more questions Search