Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phantom4073 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Settle My Credit Card Balance
    I have a CC balance of 46K, 23K, I am about 2 months pass due, I pulled 40K out of 401
    To try to settle all these amounts, should I try to settle each one equitably or pay
    The lower off in full and try to settle for a lesser % of the higher one ? I know it
    Is going to affect my credit anyway, Please advise ? I would like to get $ out of
    My house's equity(I own it outright) to pay, but its like a catch 22 situation(they
    Look at your credit to lend you $. Please advise ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2011, 03:49 PM

Is that $40K after or before the tax and penalties you will pay on an early withdrawl?

Pay off the highest interest rate card first (or are they the same).. then work your way down to the lower interest rate ones... that reduces the actual monthly interest charges and helps you make headway faster.

Aug 9, 2011, 07:04 PM
    I cannot afford the monthly payment on both cc, I want to settle the whole balance. The money is before tax income so I have already paid the 10% withholding, I will have to pay tax on it. I know in order to settle
    I will get a bad credit mark on my report plus 1099 next year. I just cannot pay both cc monthly. I would
    Either pay off the lower balance one and try to convince the higher one to take 50 % if possible or should
    I ask both to take 75 %? or should I convince both to take 50 % and conserve cash for next tax year, because
    It will be a whopper of a tax bill.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2011, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Phantom4073 does not find this helpful : I cannot afford the monthly payment on both cc, I want to settle the whole balance. The money is before tax income so I have already paid the 10% withholding, I will have to pay tax on it. I know inorder to settle I will get a bad credit mark on my r

Jeeze... did you even bother to read the site rules about WHEN you are even allowed to give a not helpful... its very rude to do so and I am offended.

Aug 9, 2011, 08:18 PM
    I am sorry I did not read the rules.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom4073 View Post
    I am sorry I did not read the rules.
    Smoothy actually gave you very good advice. By paying off the higher interest card first, you eliminate that payment so you wouldn't have two payments. I can't see how you could have found that advice not helpful. As noted, a negative rating is only to be used with a factually incorrect or inaccurate answer, which his was neither. So the rating has been removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card balance [ 4 Answers ]

I just got served for a credit I need to response within 10 days how dow I do it?

Mother Credit Card Balance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- My 87 mother passed away in January of this year. She was on medicare/medicaid had a Small social security check and owned no property, land, car, she had no assets! She had a burial policy from an insurance company and that is being used to inter her cremated remains and get her a...

Credit card reduced balance [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that credit card companies will except a reduced settlement of your balance if you make them an offer if they believe there is little chance of them receiving the full amount other wise, if so is there a stencil letter on the web to use:confused:

Need to Settle Charged off credit card. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok a little about my situation, I once upon a time had a visa credit card with Providian National Bank, But due to some unforeseen circumstances I could not pay the card payments. I had to choose between the credit card payment and my home so I neglected the visa payments. This is something...

View more questions Search