Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Failed DEQ results... HELP!
    Hi there,

My car failed DEQ and was wondering what the issue is if the readings for "HC" are 309 on the 1st idle and 432 on the second. Also the "CO" is 3.2763 on the 1st idle and 4.1507 on the second. What does this mean and how can I fix it to pass DEQ? My tags are expired, I've already gotten my two trip permits for the year and I need to get this fixed ASAP. Any and all answers and insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 01:17 PM

When was your last tune up? How old is the car? Do you ever drive it with the throttle wide open ?
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 01:18 PM

If you qualify then you might get help fixing it from your local DMV.

Ref:

Repair Assistance Through DEQ

If a 1996 or newer vehicle cannot pass the DEQ emissions test and the owner qualifies for low-income status, the owner of the vehicle may apply for DEQ's Clean Air Partners Program (CAP) and possible repair assistance.

CAP collects donations from other drivers and uses the funds to help those in need to repair their vehicles, pass the vehicle inspection test and drive cleaner, less polluting vehicles. For more information call 971-673-1630 ext. 0 or visit DEQ on the web at: Oregon DEQ: Air Quality Vehicle Inspection - Clean Air Partners.

Oregon DEQ no longer offers an Enhanced Test waiver for low-income people.

Oregon DMV DEQ Emissions Testing
    Vision Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    When was your last tune up? How old is the car? Do you ever drive it with the throttle wide open ?
    Last tune up was a month ago. It's a 94 Toyota Camry. I don't know what it means to drive with the throttle wide open... And in answer to your other question, it's not 96 or newer.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 04:42 PM

What wide open means you push the pedal all the way to the floor for a bit. Like accelerating on an onramp etc.

You might ask the tune up people if they provide any guarantee.

Other wise you could use a product like "sea foam" to get rid of excess carbon buildup in your engine and use a fuel additive for 1 tank full.

Then take it back for a retest.
    Vision Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 04:51 PM

No, it's a V6, that's not ever necessary.

The tune up was done by a mechanic friend at his house...

I will look into this sea foam and fuel additive.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    No, it's a V6, that's not ever necessary.

It is healthy for the car to be driven that way every once in awhile. It blows the carbon off the cylinders. Also it helps to keep the engine insides clean. Its not something you want to do all the time just every once in awhile when it is safe to do so.
    Vision Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 04:59 PM
    It is healthy for the car to be driven that way every once in awhile. It blows the carbon off of the cylinders. Also it helps to keep the engine insides clean. Its not something you want to do all the time just every once in awhile when it is safe to do so.
    Ok.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 11, 2011, 02:36 PM

Don't forget to "reheat" the converter.
    Many times while waiting for your turn at DEQ, your car's catalytic converter will cool down and lose efficiency very quickly.
    Therefore, it is important to have the system tested while the converter or "cat" is at operating tempurature or "lit" as some call it, and only then go in for the actual testing.
    To get your converter up toward operating tempurature before your turn up, raise the engine speed by stepping gently on the throttle and holding it at around 1500 RPM or so and hold this for at least 45 seconds or so.
    You should also make certain the oil and filter are fresh and the PCV is working properly. Hydrocarbons trapped in dirty engine oil are a major concern at this point.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2011, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Don't forget to "reheat" the converter.
    Many times while waiting for your turn at DEQ, your car's catalytic converter will cool down and lose efficiency very quickly.
    Therefore, it is important to have the system tested while the converter or "cat" is at operating tempurature or "lit" as some call it, and only then go in for the actual testing.
    To get your converter up toward operating tempurature before your turn up, raise the engine speed by stepping gently on the throttle and holding it at around 1500 RPM or so and hold this for at least 45 seconds or so.
    You should also make certain the oil and filter are fresh and the PCV is working properly. Hydrocarbons trapped in dirty engine oil are a major concern at this point.

When they do the "smog" test don't they make sure it is hot? Or are they just trying to get money out of innocent people ?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
    When they do the "smog" test dont they make sure it is hot? Or are they just trying to get money out of innocent people ?
    I don't think they're necessarily just trying to get money from us (though in some instances, that has happened).
    They just aren't trained in how these systems work. That is why we need to be aware of these things ourselves whenever possible. It's because people like ChihuahuaMomma asking about this that steps can be shared to alleviate the problem.
    Too bad we can't reach more people with this same concern.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    I don't think they're necessarily just trying to get money from us (though in some instances, that has happened).
    They just aren't trained in how these systems work. That is why we need to be aware of these things ourselves whenever possible. It's because people like ChihuahuaMomma asking about this that steps can be shared to alleviate the problem.
    Too bad we can't reach more people with this same concern.
    I have known of a few cases where it has been shown when a woman takes a car in for repairs and a man takes one in the pricing is different. That is the only reason I question things like that. You would think at a minimum they would be ASE certified for smog and engine controls.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
    I do know there is AES testing available for Maintenance and Inspection, or M & I, but I don't know if test center employee's are required to have that.
    I know they will be trained to operate the testing equipment and, if their system has the resource, they may be able to offer suggestions. Remember, they aren't there to diagnose your vehicle's problem. They are there to tell that there is a problem. It's up to you to find the remedy.

There have been numerous situations that have shown no single demographic group has not been victimized by ruthless repair shops, at some point or another. That is why learing more about how things work is so dang critical!

And whenever there's an option, I always recommend a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check engine light and DEQ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to pass DEQ in Oregon if you have a check engine light on? I've been to three mechanics and no one can figure out why its on...

Failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been on probation in Florida since Aug 2008 for a dui and GTA. I have paid all restitution and completed everything as ordered by the court. I however failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). My probation officer however said he wasn't going to violate me....

Janesville WI, failed 1st UA for probation what will happen once they get results? [ 1 Answers ]

Please Help, let me know answer before I have next PO meeting\

Failed results [ 1 Answers ]

I got my period jan 4th had intercourse unprotected he ejuculated in me my period is a week early is something wrong?:confused:

View more questions Search