Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annaisdumb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Car accident claim days later
    On Saturday, 3 days ago, my sister was backing out of a parking spot in our apartment complex and rear ended a truck parked illegally in the fire lane behind her. There is a pretty sizable dent in his car. Neither thought to call the police and make a claim. The truck that was hit claims to have insurance, but refuses to give any information because he doesn't want his premium to go up next year and will only work through my sisters insurance.
    My question is, because there was no police report, no pictures taken until 3 days later, and one party refuses to share their information, and was parked illegally, can my sister really be held responsible and made to pay for the damages through her insurance?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 06:52 PM

Here is an issue... he may have been parked illegally... but your sister still hit a parked car, I can't think of any time she wouldn't be responsible for that. She was the one operating a vehicle, the other one was parked and stationary.

They can get away with what they get away with. But really his insurance wouldn't go up if someone else ran into him. The worst he could have gotten was a parking ticket and maybe towed.

Yeah both parties are supposed to share the info... and even though it's a moot issue now... the police should have been called. Its going to be hard if not impossible to prove anything other than she hit him at this point. Which is exactly what he claims.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 06:59 PM

1. she is totally at fault, his being illegally parked does not matter at all. It was sitting still and she was moving.

2. they do not have to call the police, esp if this was in a private parking area.

3. It is her fault and he should not have to file with his insurance.

4. She needs to file it with her insurance and they should pay for his damages.

5. if she does not, he can sue her and she will have to apy
    ** or he can report it to his insurance and all them to sue you, It will not raise his rates since it is your fault not his
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2011, 03:41 AM

I have an issue here with his refusing to provide insurance info. In some areas it is required that both parties provide such info. Did your sister take down his plate #. Her insurance can find out his coverage from that.

But given the circumstances, your sister is 100% responsible.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 02:12 PM

Even if he does NOT report this to his insurance company it WILL still be on his insurance profile in the insurance companies computers as a NF (not at fault) accident. And if he goes to change carriers this NF accident WILL show up and he may have higher rates from new company and also his current company if he keeps getting NF accidents. I see these types of insurance profiles every day and even if the person'e present carrier pays nothing it will be in the system to come back and haunt them later. Even reporting to their own carrier it will still be listed as an NF accident. Why would this jerk act this way? Does he think his current carrier magically won't find out about this accident?

Geesh, some people are as dense as a rock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you keep as car accident claim open? [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you for taking my question. How do you keep a car accident claim open. Tomarrow is my last day. Candice PS Yes I'm mad as heck I let my daily survival get me to doing this the last moment!

Car accident claim [ 1 Answers ]

The story: I was involved in a accedent on 8/31/08, the dude side swiped me from the back bumber to the driverside door. I was stupid and did not call the police. I was driving my sister's car, trying to save on gas on a V4. I tooked all the info I needed from him. He admitted his fault. The car...

How to settle a car accident claim [ 4 Answers ]

I was injured in a car accident about 6 months ago. I started by going to the ER room and then to a chiropractor. My symptoms did not go away so I went to an orthopedic doctor and found I have a bulging disc in my neck. I was given a tens machine and can periodically go to the doctor for...

How do I settle my car accident claim? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in an accident in April 07 - the other driver struck me in an intersection and is 100% at fault. I am trying to settle on my own. Everything online says to take 3x the medical expense amount. Approx #'s are $23,000 settlement additionally I want them to pay my bills $7900 on top of that. So...

View more questions Search