Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kfuss Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 04:40 PM
    Car accident
    Hi, I just got into an accident today in my friends car. I do not have insurance but my friends car does.I rear ended a woman in front of me. She has a history of back pain and was sent to the hospital. From the police report I was at fault. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is going to happen next because I've never been in this situation before.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 04:48 PM
    First you will have to go to court for the ticket, you are responsible for that. The insurance goes with the car and, if you were allowed by the owner and policy, she should be covered for the loss. However, she will also be responsible, or her company will, if there is a law suit-back injury oops!

Aug 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
    I only got a warning. The insurance is under my friends dad. My friend let me use it. If she does decide to sue, what actions should be taken?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 04:52 PM
    None on your part, let the insurance company know. Do not discuss it with the other party.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 05:16 PM

First where is this at,
    In the US, insurance is on the car, not for the person, so if the car had insurance most likely it was insured. Unless there is a clause not to insure others, The owner of the car, reports the accident to their insurance company, you will give her insurance a statement of what happened.

Most likely they will pay or if not, the other people sue you and the owner of the car

Aug 8, 2011, 05:43 PM
    In WV. My friend is here for school and he lives in New Jersey. Idk if his coverage covers anyone driving it or just specific people on the car.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 06:54 PM

Most insure an occasional driver.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 05:50 AM

Just to add: in general most auto insurance policies will indeed cover anyone who lawfully borrows the car from the owner, so in this case if you had permission to drive the car your friend's dad's insurance should handle it. However, there is probably a deductible of perhaps $500 or $1000, which means the insurance company doesn't pay for the first $500 or $1000 of damage. So you should offer to reimburse your friend's dad the amount of the deductible on his policy to make him whole.

Aug 9, 2011, 11:29 PM
    What would happen if the woman I hit decided to sue my friends family for letting me borrow it?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfuss View Post
    What would happen if the woman I hit decided to sue my friends family for letting me borrow it?
    It's possible, and if she did their insurance company would pay for defending them. But this should not be a worry unless she could argue that your friend was negligent in letting you drive. For example, she may have a case if you don't have a license, or your license is suspended, or if you were intoxicated at the time of the accident. I'd be more worried that she will sue you over her injuries, not your friend's family.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 06:36 AM

And if her bills end up exceeding the insurance plan limit... a lawsuit for the balance.

And if they had a bare minimum policy... that can be more possible than you might think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Can my car be sold to pay for accident my child had in my car in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

Can my car be sold to pay for damages to a car my daughter hit. She took us to court I was not able to go I am disabled. I spoke to person and told her I could pay her a small amount each month but she said no. I am still on disability so what can I do?

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

I was in a car accident and the owner of the car had no insurance. [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know what to do... Help

View more questions Search