Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnetterz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 06:27 AM
    I am at a lose on what to do, I feel like the dentist is taking me for granted
    Last September I went to the dentist I am still currently seeing, it had been a few years since my last visit to a dentist. I had numerous cavitys, she insisted on using the resin fillings rather than the silver. I agreed to this but it has been a nightmare since. In the beginning I had severe pain, first she said with the resin they had to grind the filling to exact or it could cause some discomfort. Then she said to give it a few days because my mouth was "pissed" off at all the bugging around they had been doing. A couple weeks later still the same, but now cold and hot arer also creating sensitivity. #31 being one of these fillings I had was giving me the most problems and still is. She seemed at a lose after 3 months of not being able to figure out why I was still in so much pain that she had me get another x-ray to find out that I had an infection from the first time I saw her that they had missed. That's when she began telling me I need a root canal and crown... But my insurance is maxed out from the laser treatments they talked me into getting because I have the periodontal disease or whatever its called... Ughhh sorry to ramble.. anyway here we are about 9 months later hot and cold cause me severe pain. I have a constant throbbing pain and I just want this tooth pulled. But I know going there and asking her will just end up being her talking me into something else that costs and costs.. My insurance is maxed out until January but I can't wait until then!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 06:40 AM

Hate to tell you this... but that's what happens fro waiting years to go. To get rid of periodontal disease is going to take a lot more than one visit a year, and if you don't its going to end up costing you your teeth.

I know that's not going to sound helpful or what you was hoping to hear.

Here is a link to read more on it at your leisure... as I'm sure most of what they told you went right over your head after the first few things you didn't understand...

Periodontal disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do need to take that serious however... it can get life threatening if it manages to get into your bloodstream it can prove fatal. Now that you are in a full fledged panic... you might also want to consult or visit another dentist. At least in the USA they have to send all your records over to the new one if you change.

And keep in mind... you might have to cut some expenses someplace out to free up money to do something.

Also if there is a university nearby that has a medical school and a dental program... you might be able to get this done cheaply or even free. Better than doing nothing.

Statistically I think 1 out of every 2 people have this... and untreated it can become very extensive. It is fairly hard to treat, and does take time and persistence.

This is from first hand experience having dealt with it myself.
    jnetterz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 07:12 AM
    Thanks for your replay. I am on board with the periodntal disease and keeping it under control. I went for 3 months doing laser treatments once a week or once every other week. My reuslts have been great and the dentist happy with my results this far. My numbers have went from 6,7 and 8's down to 2's and 3's.
    I was just hoping someone out there had some advise on another route I could take for the tooth that needs a root canal. Unforunately there aren't any colleges that have a good dental program within driving distance from where I live now.
    Not to mention that the dentist knows about this tooth and knows I have been unable to take care of the issue with it, but is not trying to sell me a new procedure they have out with a retainer worn at night to auto-correct the narrowness of the inside of my mouth, which I was excited about because of the other agliments that it is said to fix like grinding, neck pain tension headaches and a list of others. Of course this procedure can cost anywhere from 3700 to 6000... that will cetainly be on the back burner
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnetterz View Post
    Thanks for your replay. I am on board with the periodntal disease and keeping it under control. I went for 3 months doing laser treatments once a week or once every other week. My reuslts have been great and the dentist happy with my results this far. My numbers have went from 6,7 and 8's down to 2's and 3's.
    I was just hoping someone out there had some advise on another route I could take for the tooth that needs a root canal. unforunately there aren't any colleges that have a good dental program within driving distance from where I live now.
    Not to mention that the dentist knows about this tooth and knows I have been unable to take care of the issue with it, but is not trying to sell me a new procedure they have out with a retainer worn at night to auto-correct the narrowness of the inside of my mouth, which I was excited about because of the other agliments that it is said to fix like grinding, neck pain tension headaches and a list of others. Of course this procedure can cost anywhere from 3700 to 6000... that will cetainly be on the back burner
    Shame you don't have any Colleges close enough... that's the best low or no cost option out there. I never did the laser treatment... in fact it was never mentioned to me...

Why this is hard to treat is the bacteria encase themselves like a cyst and then meds won't reach them. What they did with me was the deep cleaning every 3 months... irrigation with some foul tasting antibiotic on the chair... and taking Periostat daily. Took a couple years but it effectively brought it under control. A dentist might chime in (assuming any are members) and find what are the lowest cost options...

I can understand... have had friends in the situation you are now... where they needed over $20K worth of work... and didn't have the money either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband and I are drifting apart.I feel he takes me for granted and doesn't love me [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to go back home what would be my legal rights .we have been married 23 years

My man is cheap and perhaps is taking me for granted.what do you think? [ 4 Answers ]

We have been dating (long distance) since April. However we've been friends for 3 yrs. He graduated this spring from college and now has a seasonal position. So money is tight... but not bad. He does not have to pay for housing (it's provided by the government as he is one of their employees)....

Taking a Relationship for granted. [ 3 Answers ]

So I found a lovely girl who wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with her. As the relationship went past a year, everything was going great, we loved each other dearly and spent far too much time together, as she didn't have friends to socialize with herself apart from when she was at...

I feel I am over weight what should I do to lose the LBs [ 2 Answers ]

I am 5'4 maybe 5'5 ii weight about 165 I want to lose weight fast and ez with no crazy life altering surgery lol. What shoule I do?

View more questions Search