Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danayk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 02:10 AM
    Why do we use the word flash to describe flash memory ?
    Why do we use the word flash to describe flash memory ?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2011, 04:51 AM

Flash memory is erasable, non-volatile memory. That is, it retains the data without power, but can be erased if desired.

The story is that a colleague of the inventor thought the erasure process was similar to the flash of a camera. Since the electrically-erasable characteristic was the most novel aspect, that name stuck.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Aug 12, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Some early non volatile memory units were ROM not RAM meaning Right once read many times. To clear these units you flashed them with a strobe that hit a small photovoltaic cell and cleared the stored data. There was usually a sticker or electrical tape over an aperture to prevent accidental erasure. I saw these modules in some old equipment(it was old 10 years ago). Basically the OS or an application was stored on the module and the flashing and rewriting process was done to update the software. This was not used in desktops but in devices like early digital Point of sales equipment and other devices.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
    Some early non volatile memory units were ROM not RAM meaning Right once read many times.
    Just a slight clarification:
    ROM = Read Only Memory, where you write once and read many times (this is the one that would need to be flashed
    RAM = Random Access Memory, memory that can be read from and written to in arbitrary sequence
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
    Some early non volatile memory units were ROM not RAM meaning Right once read many times. to clear these units you flashed them with a strobe that hit a small photovoltaic cell and cleared the stored data. There was usually a sticker or electrical tape over an aperture to prevent accidental erasure. I saw these modules in some old equipment(it was old 10 years ago). Basically the OS or an application was stored on the module and the flashing and rewriting process was done to update the software. this was not used in desktops but in devices like early digital Point of sales equipment and other devices.
    They still use rom today in many memory dependent systems. Like ecu's in the automotive industry. The rom's of old I worked with you had to use ultra violet to erase them. Sunlight could do the same thing under the right conditions too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flash memory [ 5 Answers ]

Hi please help me I have a flash memory when I clic on formatage rapide the computer whrite le disque est protégé en écriture and I didn't now what I most do please help me :confused:

Using a Flash Memory Card [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a COBY 256 Memory Card, it is about the size of a postage stamp, I am wondering Where I put it in my computer to save things on it, I have looked everywhere, not sure where to put it. Thank you

Flash memory pro [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I am muziti,and I have got a little problem with my flash disk The flash is 1GB GENX type and its one week after it is bought But it can't save the given file properly . In the first plug on the computer ,it tells the right memory size and the file works good If plugged again ...

Hidden folder in flash memory [ 17 Answers ]

My flash memory was infected by unknown virus so that some folders of it was hidden.I scan it with several antivirus!but they aren't effective.how can I update my antivirus?and what is the best antivirus?

View more questions Search