Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
    My pets
    Hello:

Not to diminish anyone else's bereavement... but, to me, the death of a pet is as painful as that of a human family member or a dear friend... Somebody here has a signature that includes something like, the ONLY thing wrong with dogs is that they don't live long enough. I couldn't agree more.

No, I didn't lose anybody recently, but I wanted to pay tribute to ALL my pets that have preceded me to the promised land, whatever that is. I loved every one of them - some even MORE than humans, and I miss them terribly.

excon

PS> No response needed. I just wanted to say what I said.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:17 AM

I totally agree. If my best cat in the whole world, Thomas Jefferson, isn't waiting for me in heaven, I don't want to go there.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
    I agree. Sometimes losing a "pet" is incredibly difficult. You become attached to them and they become part of your family. I have lost many that have hurt. I like that you made this "tribute"... very cool.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:25 AM

I agree. I lost two great pets in the last 5 years. My dear cat Joe, he was 18 and my golden retriever Forrest who was 13.
    I still miss those guys. I hope they both know how much they were loved and missed.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Unconditional love. Waggy, affectionate, smother us with kisses all out love. Why such short lives? I want a shorter life too.

My favorite Twilight Zone episode is the one with the country guy who dies with his dog. He finds himself at heaven's gate, and it's a country split rail fence with rolling fields as far as the eye can see. The hayseed angel at the gate says 'Come on in, but you can't bring your dog.' The guy says no thanks and wanders down the road, where he comes to another gate, and they both enter. The one that turned down his dog? You guessed it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Unconditional love. Waggy, affectionate, smother us with kisses all out love. Why such short lives? I want a shorter life too.

My favorite Twilight Zone episode is the one with the country guy who dies with his dog.
    You made me look it up -- "The Hunt" January 26, 1962 --

The Hunt (The Twilight Zone) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
    Sorry, the death of a pet will never, never equal the death of a child in my opinion.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2011, 12:11 PM
    True, Karma. But excon started with that in a way.
    My dad died in June, at 92. I lived with him for the last several years, and enjoyed every minute of it. Because he was so sweet and because he was old, I didn't grieve like I would for an equally sweet child, who would keep me sad and longing for a very long time. I grieved in the ways I grieve over pets. Not to pound that word into the ground, but it is a sweet grief. I don't think that diminishes either human or pet. There was no baggage, no anger, no unsaid words, no regret with any of them, just simple and sweet.

Thanks SO much Wondergirl!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and being pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Is it harmful to be around indoor pets while being pregnant?

Sims Pets [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I have the Sims Pets game and I frequently play it on my Wii. I have become annoyed because one of my Sims wants always says "give a pet a bath". I buy a bathtub, put it in the house,& click on it, but the only option is "take a bath", which would mean my Sim would be taking...

Pets by marriage [ 3 Answers ]

If my partner and I take the next big step of living together, we would be bringing together two sets of pets (still an if at this stage, although we've both wondered how we would deal with all the pets if we did). He lives on a 5 acre property with a big, gorgeous, cat friendly Rottweiller...

Reading on pets [ 3 Answers ]

I'm new here been trying to use this site for several years now. Hope this works. My dog , sweaty, is sick and would like to know if anyone can give me some clue as to what has made her sick. We have a vet appt in the a.m. Hope she will be well enough to get into my vehicle. She is too heavy...

View more questions Search