Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e019910 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Rubber Stains on Light Oak Furniture
    We have a solid light oak wood end table where the rubber pads on the bottom of the clock radio have left many gray marks which we can't seem to remove. They appear to be imbedded; not on the surface.

We have tried - soap and water, clorox bleach and even soft scrub.
    Any ideas what to use?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
    My first thought is that you would have been better off to ask this question before trying bleach or soft scrub. The rubber actually is embedded as you describe. Try scrubbing with the grain with a very short bristle brush lightly dampened with paint thinner.
    e019910 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    I was told car polishing compound might work. Any thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Car polish compound is a very fine abrasive. You can try it but I'd test it in an area not easily seen. It will shine the surface and not get into the grain of the wood. I am afraid that whatever you do it will start to remove your finish and you may find it difficult to match the original look. Here's a thought, try a big rubber eraser.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 02:33 PM
    If there is a finish on this item - i.e. lacquer, polyurethane, etc. and simple furniture polish applied with a cloth does not remove the marks, then I would try some 0000 steel wool with furniture polish or paint thinner and rub very lightly.

Another type of liquid product you might want to try that usually comes in small cans are those that remove things like dried paint or gum. I think that one of them is called "Goo Gone."

If you have no finish on your dresser, than you will probably need to use 150 to 240 grit abrasive paper. If there is a finish, then you can still use abrasive paper, but you will then need to touch it up. Use small can of stain the same color as the finish, lightly dab it on with a paper towel and let it dry. Lightly spay with a semi-gloss or gloss lacquer, depending on what shininess of finish you have. May need to then rub it out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax for furniture.

Another thing to try with no finish is a wood bleach. Not the same as household bleaches. Follow directions on the label.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Whatever you try is still going to ruin the top of the piece, if it isn't already, right? Why not send it out and have it refinished?
    cogsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 10:23 AM

We stored my winter tires for one year on top of a teak table that we weren't using and the tire left a black rubber stain, including some print from the rim. I just tried using nail polish remover and a used scratch pad and it worked like a charm to remove the stain. The table will need to be slightly sanded and re-varnished.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2010, 11:34 AM

Why anyone would store an old tire on top of a teak table is beyond me. I have solid teak tables and they get cleaned periodically with acetone (yes, nail polish) and then good teak cleaner.

This thread is from 2007. So you wasted your time. I was notified because I subscribed to it.

However, this person didn't have teak which is one of the most resilient woods available for boat decking, outdoor furniture and indoor.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Thread is now old and archived and has had sufficient enough answers.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stains [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that semen stains look crusty in appearannce, while drool stains are just translucent, on like fabrics?

Installing 3/4 oak hardwood [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install 3/4 oak hardwood in my kitchen. I have a laminate wood floating floor down now and just had new cabinets installed and there bigger then the old ones. The front of the cabinets sit on the floating floor. My problem is I can get the floating floor up because there's no...

Yellow stains on painted pine furniture [ 1 Answers ]

We have unfinished pine furniture that we painted white. Over the years there are yellow stains coming through the paint. What happened? How can we repaint them and prevent the yellow stains from coming through again?

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Removing marks from light oak furniture [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: We have a solidlight oak wood table which someone stood a chilled alliminium lager can on in 2 place and we can't get the stain out - anyideas? Also on another piece of solid light oak wood furniture the rubber pads on the bottom of the telephone have left marks which we can't seem to...

View more questions Search