Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vilavilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2011, 10:27 PM
    After FMLA is up can I get fired from job?
    My 12 weeks of FMLA will end on August 12, 2011, my doctor gave me an additional three months off due to my injury from work, I faxed the note on August 3, 2011. My employer send me a LTD package to complete and along with it a letter stating that he could no longer hold my position and was terminating me as a resignation as of August 12, 2011. I never resigned, can my employer do this. My worker's comp attorney told me when I first went out on FMLA that if my employer terminated me that I could sue for retaliation. Can I be terminated as such?

Frank
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 6, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Not enough information, and since you spoke with a WC attorney, do so again. It sounds like the right to sue for wrongful termination really did end with the end of FMLA and the beginning of LTD, which sounds reasonable to me. An employer shouldn't have to keep a position open indefinitely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 01:25 PM

If this is a workers comp claim, then you are not or should not be out on FMLA but should be out on workers comp claim.

FMLA is not used for workers comp, but for other illness.

If you are just out being sick and are going to start using Long Term Disability, then yes you are replaced when you go to disability
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:10 AM

I agree with both respondeers. WC and FMLA are not used together so your situation is in clear to us. Under FMLA your job, or a similar job, must be held for 12 weeks and that's it. If you are out under FMLA then you applied for it and all the info and rules should have been givn to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FMLA rights Is my job protected? Can I be fired? [ 15 Answers ]

Recently I received FMLA. On the day I was notified I was approved I also received a performance improvement plan (probation for job performance, no end date, etc.) What are my rights? The improvement plan had incidents in it that were not true. What are my options? Can my employer fire me...

View more questions Search