Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Kerry questions media over Tea Party coverage.
    John Kerry, the richest person in congress, believes the media should not give coverage to the Tea Party:

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Friday that the media has the responsibility to not give equal time or credence to the Tea Party's views:

S
    EN. JOHN KERRY: "And I have to tell you, I say this to you politely. The media in America has a bigger responsibility than it's exercising today. The media has got to begin to not give equal time or equal balance to an absolutely absurd notion just because somebody asserts it or simply because somebody says something which everybody knows is not factual."

"It doesn't deserve the same credit as a legitimate idea about what you do. And the problem is everything is put into this tit-for-tat equal battle and America is losing any sense of what's real, of who's accountable, of who is not accountable, of who's real, who isn't, who's serious, who isn't?
    "

If the media needs stop giving equal time to absurd notions, they need to begin with you, Lurch. Who the hell are you to decide what's legitimate?

{Mod Note: Title edited from Liberal ignorance and intolerance, since this appears to be an attack on one person and shouldn't be used as a general attack. <>}
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2011, 05:34 PM

I don't see anything wrong with Kerry's statement. Isn't he entitled to his opinion? Shouldn't the media verify facts before posting inaccuracies? Should absurdities be promoted as reasonable ideas?

I don't see anything in Kerry's statement that is trying to dictate what the media does. Only a call for responsibility in reporting. Explain to me what is wrong with that?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:16 PM
    How can each media possibly give equal time to all politics? Impossible. Of course they choose. Of course they aren't always going to be impartial, and of course they are going to ignore what they want to ignore. The media is controlled against monopoly. You pick what you want to read and watch and listen to. NPR or Fox, New York Times or some Murdoch paper. If you started a newspaper, would you give equal coverage and act impartial? I doubt it.

Your first 'quote' isn't a quote from Kerry, and in fact there is nothing in his text that even mentions the Tea Party, so whose words are those? Someone you choose to believe and then pass on their little finagling of what someone said.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 5, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    John Kerry, the richest person in congress, believes the media should not give coverage to the Tea Party:

If the media needs stop giving equal time to absurd notions, they need to begin with you, Lurch. Who the hell are you to decide what's legitimate?

As far as the media is concerned a legitimate view should be a view put forward by a person, person's, organization whereby that person or organization is prepared to take responsibility for said view.

The media should know that it is not all right to say whatever they like, whenever they like. Their modus operandi should not be freedom of speech with no responsibility.

"We report, you decide" type of approach doesn't work when it comes to politics. I think this is obvious.

When it comes to politics many people don't bother to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Tut
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2011, 10:07 PM
    Tut How can you expect the media to be unbiased and non sensationalist. It just doesn't make good copy. You know that on the local front we have had biased media for years reporting all sorts of rubbish, both imported and local, with no responsibility taken because they have limited ability to check their source. Here's a good example
    Media Bias: Going beyond Fair and Balanced: Scientific American
    Agendas and bias on the media trail - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Aug 6, 2011, 12:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Tut How can you expect the media to be unbiased and non sensationalist. It just doesn't make good copy. You know that on the local front we have had biased media for years reporting all sorts of rubbish, both imported and local, with no responsibility taken because they have limited ability to check their source. her's a good example
    Media Bias: Going beyond Fair and Balanced: Scientific American
    Agendas and bias on the media trail - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hi Clete,

Jonathan Holmes who wrote the article you highlighted 'Agendas and Bias on the Media Trail'- is biased himself.

I have absolute no problem with that.

He says the ABC's impartiality should be called into question because it missed broadcasting Tony Abbott' press conference live. Is Holmes prepared to take responsibility for this claim? My guess is that he is because it is probably a matter of fact this happened. Because we are dealing with politics people will put a variety of 'spins' on the reason for this. No problem here.

Holmes also reports that Gavin Morris, head of the ABC's Continuous News says that Morris stated in relation to Abbott, "Let's ignore the Tory bastard". Let's look at this carefully.

Did Holmes make this up because he can say whatever he likes when ever he likes? As Morris is part of the Australian Media I feel confident that Morris actually said this. Why? Because if Holmes made it up then all hell would break loose.

Bias is not the issue here. I am critical of people such as Beck who think they can come out with some outlandish statement- dress it up in the guise of news and then walk away from what they have said. No analysis, no questions. Oh! Well! That was yesterday's sensationalist nonsense.

Besides, isn't, 'The Drum' and ABC programme anyway? They are being critical of themselves?

Tut
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 02:59 AM

Kerry's statements and others in the progressive ranks is part of a coordinated campaign to attack the TP as a prelude to next year's campaign.

Kerry's comments are mild compared to the "TP=terrorist" comments that have come from VPs current and former .

Biden's office initially declined to comment about what the vice president said inside the closed-door session, but after POLITICO published the remarks, spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said: “The word was used by several members of Congress. The vice president does not believe it's an appropriate term in political discourse.”
    Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com
    That didn't stop the VP from saying that Republican leaders “put guns to our heads.”

The major media took the cue and there are plenty examples like the one below by Joe Nocera's op-ed in the NY Slimes that smears the TP as terrorists
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/op...rssnyt&emc=rss
    You know what they say: Never negotiate with terrorists. It only encourages them.

These last few months, much of the country has watched in horror as the Tea Party Republicans have waged jihad on the American people...

For now, the Tea Party Republicans can put aside their suicide vests. But rest assured: They'll have them on again soon enough. After all, they've gotten so much encouragement.

Thomas Friedman of the Slimes says the TP is the Hezbollah faction of the Republican Party ready to take the GOP on a suicide mission.
    He accused them of “raw extortion” and “blackmail” .

CNN host Fareed Zakaria deplored the “hijacking” of the nation" .He called the TP “fundamentally anti-democratic.”..“The Tea Party has an agenda,” ... He said they cannot get their agenda through the democratic process ...he said that the TP's attitude is "we'll blow up the country if you don't listen to us. ” He compared them to "hostage takers" and accused them of treason: “They were not elected dictators of the United States.”
    Tina Brown, editor-in-chief of Snoozesweek, told MSNBC that Republicans “are the suicide bombers in all of this.”
    Chris Matthews said Republicans were willing to “risk economic Armageddon” in the name of their religion. “The GOP has become the Wahhabis of American government, willing to bring the whole country down.”

Of course they've got it 100% wrong. There was no compromising by the Dems. They stood firmly against responsible debt reduction.
    Rep Mike Doyle sums up the Dem's operating philosophy in a nutshell... spend other people's money :
    “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

The most recent one came from the despicable former VP Al (the Goracle) Gore.
    He said the US needs an 'American Spring' in an interview with his flunkie Keith Olberman (bobbing his head approvingly).
    He said there needs to be a grass roots revolution in the country . That of course is a somewhat definition of the TP even though I call the TP a counter-revolution against the 70+ years of progressive damage the American Fabians have wrought. We just increased our debt to over 16 trillion,topping 100% of GDP , and it's impossible to spend money?
    This is all part of that 'civility ' in public discourse the President promised after Tucson.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with Kerry's statement. Isn't he entitled to his opinion? Shouldn't the media verify facts before posting inaccuracies? Should absurdities be promoted as reasonable ideas?

I don't see anything in Kerry's statement that is trying to dictate what the media does. Only a call for responsibility in reporting. Explain to me what is wrong with that?
    Who is he to determine what is an "absurd notion" that doesn't deserve coverage? Who is he to determine what is "legitimate" that does deserve coverage? He's entitled to his opinion, but as an elected official ESPECIALLY he needs to embrace first amendment rights like the one's he's expressing.

He lied in the video in saying "what we had was a group of people who were completely unaware or didn't care about the consequences," before saying those people didn't deserve equal coverage. That's rich coming from a guy who goes on to complain about covering things that aren't "factual." Apparently, only coverage about those "terrorist" "hostage takers" deserved coverage and nothing about those not so radical congressmen.

He's a lying, intolerant, hypocrite that has no business posturing about media responsibility. That's what's wrong with it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    How can each media possibly give equal time to all politics? Impossible. Of course they choose. Of course they aren't always going to be impartial, and of course they are going to ignore what they want to ignore. The media is controlled against monopoly. You pick what you want to read and watch and listen to. NPR or Fox, New York Times or some Murdoch paper. If you started a newspaper, would you give equal coverage and act impartial? I doubt it.
    If I were a senator, I wouldn't try to squelch the first amendment.

Your first 'quote' isn't a quote from Kerry, and in fact there is nothing in his text that even mentions the Tea Party, so whose words are those? Someone you choose to believe and then pass on their little finagling of what someone said.
    So tell me who he was talking about.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:21 AM
    You took one person's statement and turned into a thread titled: "Liberal ignorance and intolerance"

Yea, I think I know who the ignorant one is.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You took one person's statement and turned into a thread titled: "Liberal ignorance and intolerance"

Yea, I think I know who the ignorant one is.
    Is he a liberal? I'd say it's indisputable that he is. Is is his statement ignorant and intolerant? In my opinion and based on the evidence, yes it is. Now, stop insulting me. Or as you would call it, your "internet courage" is showing.

Aug 6, 2011, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Kerry's statements and others in the progressive ranks is part of a coordinated campaign to attack the TP as a prelude to next year's campaign.

Kerry's comments are mild compared to the "TP=terrorist" comments that have come from VPs current and former .

Sources: Joe Biden likened tea partiers to terrorists - Jonathan Allen and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com
    That didn't stop the VP from saying that Republican leaders “put guns to our heads.”

The major media took the cue and there are plenty examples like the one below by Joe Nocera's op-ed in the NY Slimes that smears the TP as terrorists
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

Thomas Friedman of the Slimes says the TP is the Hezbollah faction of the Republican Party ready to take the GOP on a suicide mission.
    He accused them of “raw extortion” and “blackmail” .

CNN host Fareed Zakaria deplored the “hijacking” of the nation" .He called the TP “fundamentally anti-democratic.”..“The Tea Party has an agenda,” ... He said they cannot get their agenda through the democratic process ...he said that the TP's attitude is "we'll blow up the country if you don't listen to us. ” He compared them to "hostage takers" and accused them of treason: “They were not elected dictators of the United States.”
    Tina Brown, editor-in-chief of Snoozesweek, told MSNBC that Republicans “are the suicide bombers in all of this.”
    Chris Matthews said Republicans were willing to “risk economic Armageddon” in the name of their religion. “The GOP has become the Wahhabis of American government, willing to bring the whole country down.”

Of course they've got it 100% wrong. There was no compromising by the Dems. They stood firmly against responsible debt reduction.
    Rep Mike Doyle sums up the Dem's operating philosophy in a nutshell ....spend other people's money :
    “This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”

The most recent one came from the dispicable former VP Al (the Goracle) Gore.
    He said the US needs an 'American Spring' in an interview with his flunkie Keith Olberman (bobbing his head approvingly).
    He said there needs to be a grass roots revolution in the country . That of course is a somewhat definition of the TP even though I call the TP a counter-revolution against the 70+ years of progressive damage the American Fabians have wrought. We just increased our debt to over 16 trillion,topping 100% of GDP , and it's impossible to spend money?
    This is all part of that 'civility ' in public discourse the President promised after Tuscon.

Hi Tom,

I can sympathize with what you are saying.

The problem is the media itself. It is not a healthy situation when the media has obviously picks sides before the battle. It becomes a situation whereby,"all is fair in war". A very unhealthy approach to news dissemination. The media is looking for this type of garbage to print.

Tut
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:36 AM
    Is he a liberal? I'd say it's indisputable that he is. Is is his statement ignorant and intolerant? In my opinion and based on the evidence, yes it is. Now, stop insulting me. Or as you would call it, your "internet courage" is showing.
    If you're christian then that mean you're a pedophile. This is your thinking.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post

Yes they should verify, but what we are running into today is a one sided media that tries to push the same agenda that Kerry is a part of. It seems that when the truth does come out it is labeled as absurd. But when the lies come out its placed out there as truth. Lets just look at one recent push by an agenda based media.

Ref:

Newsvine - Harry Reid says 8 million jobs lost during George W. Bush's years in office

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...uring-george-/

Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record - Real Time Economics - WSJ
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:39 AM
    Are you resorting to verballing. There is nothing here that suggests that and your connection between christians and pedophiles is offensive
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 6, 2011, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    As far as the media is concerned a legitimate view should be a view put forward by a person, person's, organization whereby that person or organization is prepared to take responsibility for said view.

The media should know that it is not alright to say whatever they like, whenever they like. Their modus operandi should not be freedom of speech with no responsibility.

"We report, you decide" type of approach doesn't work when it comes to politics. I think this is obvious.

When it comes to politics many people don't bother to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Tut

It seems that the party that Kerry is associated with doesn't want to take responsibility for anything. They want glory until it comes crashing down. According to their train of thought it is still Bush's economy. They push for fighting between the peoples in the form of class warfare. They mandate programs that can't possibly be paid for and the list keeps going. If the TP or anyone else says something they try to get it dismissed even before it can be proven. Kerry and others are living in some kind of dream world and they can't believe that they lost in the last set of elections so they show their extreme bitterness.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Are you resorting to verballing. There is nothing here that suggests that and your connection between christians and pedophiles is offensive
    Speech contents that one man's actions speaks for all liberals. Then we can assume that one man's actions speaks for all of his group. Many priests have been caught sexually molesting young boys, just recently:
    Church child protection chief caught with 4,000 child porn pictures - mirror.co.uk
    So by speech's reasoning we can safely assume that this is something all christians do.

You only find it offensive now because you now now involved in the "painting with the wide brush".
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:55 AM
    Not that I should even respond to your pathetic nonsense, but mt title doesn't indict all liberals, it's descriptive of one - but I made that clear in my last post to you. You are the only here making wild leaps and avoiding the topic to attack me again. Enough of your obsession with stalking and insulting me.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    but mt title doesn't indict all liberals, it's descriptive of one
    Nope. Your title is Liberal ignorance and intolerance, that's not one guy and you know it, you've done this before.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 03:59 AM
    Speech contents that one man's actions speaks for all liberals. Then we can assume that one man's actions speaks for all of his group. so by speech's reasoning we can safely assume that this is something all christians do.

You only find it offensive now because you now now involved in the "painting with the wide brush".
    Again already? The key word in your post is assume. I described one man, you're painting the broad brush and insulting me in the process. ENOUGH already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tea Party Hypocrites [ 34 Answers ]

Hello: The Tea Party says the COUNTRY should live within their budget and pay their bills because that's what AMERICANS do... That would be, unless you are 8th District Rep. Joe Walsh, the freshman congressman whose emerged as one of the hardliners in the debt ceiling debate. Interesting, as...

The Constitution and the Tea Party [ 17 Answers ]

Hello: I thought the Tea Party LOVED the Constitution... But, they DON'T. They want to CHANGE it more to their liking... Let me see... They've got this here new amendment which would drastically CHANGE the Constitution... They want to CHANGE the 17th Amendment, which is how senators are...

Tea party morons [ 35 Answers ]

This tea party movement has gone from bad to worse today, Maine republicans, which are supposed to be moderate and sensible have been taken over by tea party morons and have adopted a ridiculous platform which has many ridiculous resolutions but the dumbest of all was a motion to seal the U.S....

Another tea party victory ? [ 2 Answers ]

The Tea Party movement may chalk up another victory today in the President's home state . Adam Andrzejewski running in the 7 candidate Republican primary for Governor of Illinois .He is poised to upset Rep. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.);who's fortunes began to take a nose dive when he voted for Cap and Trade...

Media coverage [ 3 Answers ]

A new study "released Monday from the Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ) and Harvard’s Shorenstein Center, found newspapers and broadcast TV outlets devoted far more time to covering the Democratic candidates than the Republicans and that the tone of those stories was much more favorable to...

View more questions Search