Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpappolla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 06:46 PM
    Is an llp protected from personal judgement?
    What kind of a bisiness structure is then the best to shield the bank account of such structure from personal jedgements against its owner. I heard an LP would offer such protection, to avoid disruption of business operations. Is that correct?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 09:13 PM
    A limited partnership or other business form you own is not, in theoryy insulated from your personal debts. Once a judgment creditor can sort out exactly what share you own in the company, it can grab that share. And there is no exemption from execution for your ownership interest, in general.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my S-Corporation in danger, if there is a personal judgement on me? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently the sole proprietor of a business. If I transfer the business form a sole proprietorship to a S-Corporation, can a personal judgement against me harm the corporation? I want to have the S-corporation under my name.

Abstract Judgement while I am protected by Federal BK Laws? [ 2 Answers ]

What a GREAT Forum! Here is my question: I filed Bankruptcy on Aug 31, 2007 and it was discharged in March of 2008. Apparently, a creditor contacted a Collection Agency and the agency filed a complaint against me in court on August 28, 2007, which I did not discover until a few days ago. ...

Collecting on a personal judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I received a judgement against a contractor. How do I go about making sure that judgement shows up on his credit? Can I file the judgement in the county he lives in too? Can his wages be garnished? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Judgement on a Personal Loan / Education [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I'm trying to re-establish myself. I pulled a copy of my credit report and need some advise on a judgement passed on a loan. First off let me explain the loan. In 1999 I took a loan called a Plato Education Loan from Wells Fargo Bank. I made monthly payments on it but after 2 years or so I...

View more questions Search