Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confused333 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Supposedley his father doesn't know anything and they work together so this is going to be an issue of his frustration there too since his father is to find out this way. Mom and Sister have a plan to break us up since day one. Which in the long run is better for me I think. Since you as everyonelse states that he is emotionally abusive. Ive been living in this for 7 years I don't know otherwise.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 11:42 AM

Do you have somewhere else to go or do you intend on staying there in the condo when he comes storming home? He's really going to be angry that you included the company as marital property.

Aug 8, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Well, My son has swim class today and he usually picks up my son before class takes him out to eat and I meet them there with swim trunks and towls.( at the swim class) so we will be seeing each other at the swim class. I don't think he will be starting anything in a public place.
    Also he always lets me know when he pics up our son by text or a phone call.
    I will call my attorney in a little bit to find out if they served him. Im afraid of the outcome

Aug 9, 2011, 11:46 AM
    He came to swim class last night taking pictures of our son in the pool he is constantly acting like he is this perfect dad and that he spends time with his son all the time My son woke up this morning wanting to play I said that we are going to be late ( him to daycare me to work) he has the nerve to tell my son that he will take him and my son can play a little longer... I mean obviously my kid was going to want to stay.
    This is really getting out of hand. He doesn't turn the lights off when he goes to sleep, thinking that since I pay for our light bill I should get up from sleep and do it.
    Im sooo hurt, he is to get served today the server attempted to serve him yesterday yet he wasn't at the office ( supposedly)

Aug 10, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Ok, so he was served, he came home asking me what is this? You want a piece of the corporation? I said all I want is for my son to be secure, if it weren't for my child I would move.
    He said you think if its not on paper he won't be secure? I said nope.
    Anyway I said the living situation needs to be changed, I can move out you can move out or I can move out of state he said I will consult with my attorney as well.
    So now here is my question the corporation he and his family owns is a non-profit. Does that effect me?
    This is their bread winner.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 02:01 PM

I am wondering if this thread needs to be moved to the legal boards?

Aug 10, 2011, 02:27 PM
    How do I move the thread?

Aug 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Non-profit organization in divorce
    Ok, so he was served, he came home asking me what is this? You want a piece of the corporation? I said all I want is for my son to be secure, if it weren't for my child I would move.
    He said you think if its not on paper he won't be secure? I said nope.
    Anyway I said the living situation needs to be changed, I can move out you can move out or I can move out of state he said I will consult with my attorney as well.
    So now here is my question the corporation he and his family owns is a non-profit. Does that effect me? Will I have a right to interest?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 02:38 PM

Hmm...
    Generally non-profit organizations do not have private owners. They have controlling members or boards, but these people cannot sell their shares to others or personally benefit in any taxable way.

Aug 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Well, His father is the Officer and he is VP they do things under the table sometimes but I want to know my rights.
    Family Law Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 02:53 PM

An organization that is established as a non-profit does not have owners in the conventional sense.

While the organization may in fact make money in any number of ways, on investments, business ventures, donations, etc. and pay salaries and other expenses as needed, all of it's 'earnings" are employed (or spent) to further the NPO goals. No dividends are paid and the stock is not traded. Owners, (again a hard term to use), do not get anything.

If they did, then by definition, it wouldn't be a non profit!

OK-let's see... if I was married to Helen Alderson , Director of Financial Resources and Logistics of the International Committee of the Red Cross, and I got divorce, will I have a right to interest in the Red Cross?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Confused333 View Post
    So now here is my question the corporation he and his family owns is a non-profit. Does that effect me? Will I have a right to interest?
    It appears that his family have been playing fast and loose with the non-profit concept.

As GV70 said, a NPC wouldn't be owned. If it is a for-profit venture in a non-profit form, your attorney should engage in sufficient discovery to determine what's going on and how much the assets of the company are worth. Then, depending on what facts are developed, you might ask for a large share of the value of those assets.

The IRS, and the state tax authority should be interested in all of this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 02:58 PM

If you can prove that the money is being done illegally from the corporation and they are not doing it properly it is possible that it may not be protected in a divorce.

You need to get a divorce attorney and move and get on with your life, the child life and the divorce

Aug 10, 2011, 03:00 PM
    So technically they can hide everything... hmmm. Do I have any rights? Without getting them in trouble with IRS?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
    :cool:
    Family Law Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Do I have any rights?
    If we are talking about a non-profit corporation-the answer is NO.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2011, 04:29 PM

Ok, lets take the following scenario. An organization exists to help homeless people find shelter, jobs, etc. This organization gets income from government sources, donations etc. Most of the income is used to help the homeless. However, the organization employs people to manage these programs and pats them a salary. That's fine. This could even be considered a family "business".

But if they are using NPC status and not using their income properly, then they are flouting the law.

You do have rights to his salary and marital assets, but not to the NPC's assets.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Moved because the op needs legal advice about her divorce instead of marital advice.

How do I move the thread?
    Done. Be prepared for more questions and give them what information you can.

I hope you have a good lawyer.

Good luck to you and your child.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 06:28 PM

Thread has a place of its own.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ce-592123.html

All responses to the coperation question need to go here.
    Family Law Expert

Aug 11, 2011, 02:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you can prove that the money is being done illegally from the corporation and they are not doing it properly it is possible that it may not be protected in a divorce.

Probably not.
    The money will be taxed but will remain "Non-profit"
    Example from Children at Risk Org. We earn profit from unrelated activities,but it is taxable as normal business income.And that's all.The rest remain non-profit assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband and I got $9000 from taxes last year, should we expect the same this year? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband brings in all the income. We have 2 children. We purchased a car in 2010

65 year old husband joins medicare. Does 62 year old wife come also. [ 1 Answers ]

My wife is three years younger than I. She is on my health insurance plan. In three years when I move to Medicare does shee come also or does she then have to find individual health care coverage?

My 81 year old Husband [ 2 Answers ]

My 81 year old husband has been spending money in credit cards as though it is going out of fashion. He has spent all of his money by paying his debts and I must say he has great credit. Now, all he or I have are the social security checks coming in as income. I'm going crazy with this situation...

My husband wants to adopt my 6 year old [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants to adpot my daughter who is nearly 6 and hasn't seen her father since she was 2 he didn't want contact with her after that her father and I were never married or togetor when she was born how would we go about doing this

My Husband wants to adopt my 8 year old [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband wants to adopt my eight year old. Her biological father has never seen her or paid child support. She nows my husband as daddy since she was 8 months old and I have tried to contact him to give up rights so that we can do the adoption and change her last name but every time I call his...

View more questions Search