Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    showstoppa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 10:17 AM
    EtG testing cut off 100
    DrBill,

I know there are many different cut-offs for EtG. I know the cutoff for the EtG test I take is 100ng 25ets. I'ts been about 115 hours since my last drink... and I probably over had 10 drinks. What are my chances of passing?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2011, 11:26 AM

The single most influential factor in an EtG test is time since last drink or exposure to alcohol.

The cutoff is important because of the ability to detect minute amounts of the metabolite. At 100 ng that means a sensitivity down to 100 parts per billion. You can easily synthesize that much EtG from inhaling perfume, shaving lotion, or literally thousands of other products.

Even under those circumstances time is equally important. When low amounts of EtG under 1000 ng usually clearance is within 24 hours. That makes it important to be very careful for a day or two before the test.

At 115 hours there should be trace of EtG from alcohol consumption you mention but be careful about the incidental exposure.

To protect against the unreliable nature of the test it is wise to keep well hydrated. Drink at least 4 glasses of waters, 8 oz, in the days before the test. Not large amounts to flush your system... but to keep your urine within normal range. This is a necessary precautionary step because concentrated urine actually multiplies the amount of EtG present. Since EtG is water soluble keeping well hydrated also expedites clearance of any EtG from incidental exposure.

Now time has one final influence on your test. You can't control it because it relates to the urine sample after you provide it. Within 24 hours the sample may either degrade or could produce EtG in the container. Any EtG present usually degrades, but in about 12% of cases increases. Time from sample provision to lab testing is usually more than 24 hours, ranging 48-72 hrs.

When you combine these factors, perhaps you eat some fruit that produces a small amount of EtG, well below level of detection, but by the time your sample is tested that amount could increase above the level of detection.

Aug 4, 2011, 12:41 PM
    So if total elimination is not a 115 hours... what would total elimination be? I'm just worried it will come back positive because of the high sensitivity with the low cutoff at 100ng... They also measure ets... and they say that can only be produced if the beverage alcohol is ingested..
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by showstoppa View Post
    So if total elimination is not a 115 hours...what would total elimination be? I'm just worried it will come back positive because of the high sensitivity with the low cutoff at 100ng....They also measure ets...and they say that can only be produced if the beverage alcohol is ingested..
    Both EtG and EtS are produced by Ethanol. How EtOH is introduced into your system, or produced within your system, is not a factor. The information you have obtained on EtS is wrong.

As stated, at 115 hours there should be no EtG or EtS in urine from the drinking session.

There is no formula to predict elimination of EtG or EtS as the metabolites are produced in varying quantities from one individual to another.

Here is Greg Skipper's website. It provides a pretty good overview.

Ethylglucuronide, Ethyl sulfate

Aug 4, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Thank you for your info. All the info I've read stated that only in rare case has it been detected for up to 120 hours. I have read some of your posts on here before... do you have lots of experience with etg/ets testing?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by showstoppa View Post
    Thank you for your info. All the info I've read stated that only in rare case has it been detected for up to 120 hours. I have read some of your posts on here before...do you have lots of experience with etg/ets testing??
    I have a great deal of experience.

If you go back and thoroughly read the studies citing 120 hr or thereabouts the calculations are not only rare but also before using a creatinine ratio which brings the 120 to about 100 and average down to high 60s.

Aug 4, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Well, I just wanted to say thank you for all your info. There are many people on here that probably have you to thank for your wealth of knowledge.. have a great day!
    chevygirl82 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2011, 10:24 AM
    DR BILL
    I drank about 8 drinks Sat pm/Sun am... stopping at 4 am. Had half a bloody mary Sunday at 3. I tested at 8:42 on Friday am. (120 hours after last drink of group... about 113 hours after half of a typical size bloody mary)I am female, 125 lbs, 5' 8'' and high metabolism. I drink plenty of coffee daily and have been hydrated. I eat well (meats and veggies) The am of the test I drank three cups of coffee and voided 2ce before I went to the lab. The 3rd void was what I turned in to the lab. What do you think? (I understand stay away... that's not the answer I am looking for!) Thanks to all! PS I shall repost my results if I can get back to this page in specifically ; )
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chevygirl82 View Post
    DR BILL
    I drank about 8 drinks Sat pm/Sun am....stopping at 4 am. Had half a bloody mary Sunday at 3. I tested at 8:42 on Friday am. (120 hours after last drink of group...about 113 hours after half of a typical size bloody mary)I am female, 125 lbs, 5' 8'' and high metabolism. I drink plenty of coffee daily and have been hydrated. I eat well (meats and veggies) The am of the test I drank three cups of coffee and voided 2ce before I went to the lab. The 3rd void was what I turned in to the lab. What do you think? (I understand stay away...that's not the answer I am looking for!) Thanks to all! PS I shall repost my results if I can get back to this page in specifically ; )
    It is very unlikely that any EtG would be detectable after about 78-80 hours from BAC=0. From your description you had at or above 100 hours for clearance.

Dec 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Dr Bill- Thank you for your response. The company of course claims they have the "five day" detection... is that a marketing spin towards the consumer? Or is there such thing for the 120 hour test?
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
    It is a common marketing claim. There is no urine test that detects EtG or EtS at that time span.

There are misleading factors sometimes used to extend detection time. For instance, time is calculated from time of first drink to "0" clearance. Some of the studies only collected urine once in a 24 hour period. But the commercial testing services are anxious to advertise these inflated figures.

In extreme cases EtG may be detectable in the range of 78-80 hours, with an average nearer 65-70.

Dec 18, 2011, 01:43 AM
    I'm sorry to bother you again, but we are under the understanding of a 100 cutoff correct? Just want to clarify that. Thank you again for your expert advice : )

Dec 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
    It has been a week and have yet to hear anything... hoping I can run with the fact that no news is good news!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ETG testing... please help [ 6 Answers ]

I am hoping that Dr. Bill will be around to answer... I had a large glass of wine Sunday evening around 8 pm, will have possible ETG on Thursday am @ 10. I have read all I can and see different things up to 80 hours and 80-120 hours, I am looking at about 84 hours am I safe and before you say...

ETG testing [ 1 Answers ]

Does THC come up on an ETG test?

EtG testing [ 1 Answers ]

I drink beer every day.I have to take a EtG test.how long before the alcohol leaves my system,so it will not be detected?

EtG testing [ 2 Answers ]

I drank one 3.2% beer Thursday night at 8:30 pm with dinner. After drinking I found out I may have to take urine test Monday at 9:30 am. Since finding out that I may be tested I have been exercising and drinking tons of water and cranberry juice. I was wondering if the one beer will show up on the...

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

View more questions Search