Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANambiar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Should I file 8843 for NRA Employee?
    Hi,

I was running an application to file my Tax returns using 1040NR, and the system mentioned the following statements -

"YOU ARE CONSIDERED A NONRESIDENT ALIEN FOR TAX PURPOSES

. You ARE required to file Form 8843 even if you had no U.S. source income
    • You will file Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR in addition to Form 8843 if you had U.S. source income
    • Your U.S. bank interest is NOT considered taxable income
    • You are only required to declare U.S. source income
    • You should notify your employer not to withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes. If you had Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from your paychecks you may ask for a refund from your employer or file Form 843 - Claim for Refund for Social Security Taxes. "

So here are my q's..

1.) Surprised to see that I have to file 8843.
    2.) I found that if I file as a Resident Alien (1040 EZ), I end up paying less tax than if I had filed Non-resident alien(1040 NR EZ) (I had checked the tax number for resident alien using taxact online, while I had manually computed my tax for filing NonResident form). Just wanted to confirm if this would normally happen.

Thanks so much for your previous replies.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:22 AM
    1) That IS the requirement, even though much that is on the Form 8843 is already on the Form 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ. Mail the Form 8843 with your tax return.

2) It is most likely that filing as a resident alien results in a lower tax owed, because resident aliens can claim the Standard Deduction, while most non-resident aliens cannot.
    ANambiar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Thanks for your query, also do I need to file any other supplementary documents along with form 843? Thanks

And regarding form 8843, I would like to state a fact that I'm not a student and am working and employed. So would I still have to file 8843, (or as I read in another page) 8840? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 09:49 PM
    The Form 8843 is a simple report to account for exempt days.

Form 843 is used to request a refund or abatement of taxes. Most NRAs use it to get improperly-withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes. The support documents you need are listed on page 46 of IRS Pub 519.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nra Tax On Condo [ 1 Answers ]

Would Like T Know If Any Capital Gains Tax On Following: Nonresident Alien Sold Condo For $25k Profit And At The Same Time Purchased A New Condo Costing 50k More Than The One Sold. Please Advise.

F-1 Student - failure to file 8843 and e-filed [ 3 Answers ]

I have two questions, I'll give my background first: I am a citizen of India and entered US in December 2002 as F-1 Student, I am an F-1 student as of April 2006 and will be working in OPT for next year. I did two mistakes that I am realizing now. 1) I failed to file 8843 for year 2002....

Did not file Form-8843 for 2003-2004. OPT-H1 2005 Tax Need Help [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I came to US in 2002 as F1 student.I filed the 8843 Form for the 2002 and after that some how I missed all the consecutive years 8843 forms, since I had no employment.Now I have graduated in Dec 2004 and then started working on OPT until dec 31st 2005.My H1 started on 1st...

Can I file my previous years form 8843 now [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, I was a foreign student in US till 2003. I filled my first tax return in year 2001 because I had an income at that time. After that assuming I don't have to file because I didn't have an income in year 2002 and 2003 I did not file any return nor I filled the form 8843....

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

View more questions Search