Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY Lady44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 08:05 PM
    New plumbing from beginning to end 1 bath 1 kitchen house... may add 2nd bath
    Hello Mr. Tom, I'm rehabbing a house from beginning to end. Everything is gutted out walls, plumbing and all.. I have a Stink stack and just cold water lines ran. How and where do I begin on running all new plumbing for my house.. Approx how hard would it be and what would it cost? I consider myself a very handy woman and follow directions well.. As I look at existing houses plumbing it doesn't look too complicated but me being a newbie I'm sure it will. Just please help on where to start.. I was thinking starting with running pipes to the stack for the toilet.. I have 1 bath but another room right above it where I could possibly run pipes also for a second bath.. Thanks>> DIY-Lady
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2011, 08:39 PM
    I don't know who Mr Tom is, but you do sound like me when I was young. Ripping everything out before knowing how to put it back together. That's when your husband or signif other packs up and leaves you.
    Copper is expensive at the moment so everyone is using Pex. The crimping tool is expensive and some of the fittings. Or you can use copper and learn how to solder by filling the first few with so much solder that you flux way too much down the pipes, and a pipe leaks anyway because you tightened the pipe cutter too much on each turn and dented an edge.
    Sure, start at the toilet. It's nice to have one if you're living there.
    It's a lot more convenient though it you map out the whole house so you can shop for all those valves, tees, elbows, etc at one time.
    You are the only one who will know how much it will cost. Draw it, make a list, add up the prices. Then add some more because you'll forget something.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 06:19 AM

It may be a bit complicated for somebody who has never done plumbing before. Also, some specific tools will be needed to accomplish the remodel. Any way you could post drawing of your house and bathrooms ? Also show the stack a direction existing drain goes. Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding 1/2 bath off kitchen & trying to figure plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

How do I locate my outside clean out[ drain?

2nd story bath 1st floor venting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I added a new 2nd story full bath. I had a 3 inch pipe main drain coming out of the ground behind my laundy room. On the side the laundry drains into this pipe with a trap. On the top was a 2 in pipe that was the vent. I took this vent out and made it 3 inch all the way up to the top...

Determining if we can add a bath [ 3 Answers ]

Been reading the site a bit trying to learn my options Looking at buying a (small) house, with one somewhat small bathroom, but a larger laundry/etc room. It's on a slab foundation. Has a septic system. Can't beat the price and location, but would really be necessary to have at least a half...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

New 2nd Floor 1/2 bath [ 3 Answers ]

I own a 1942 bungalow with a single 1st floor bathroom. I would like to add a 1/2 bath to the 2nd floor. The vent from the basement/1st floor passes through the upstairs bedroom. The stack is behind a plaster 'bump out' on an exterior wall that is about 16" wide and 3" deep. Whether I do the...

View more questions Search