Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Aug 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Is there a risk to me using mid century appliances or not
    As my name suggests I am into vintage/antique furnishings and appliances. I have toasters, sandwich presses, cooking pots, blenders, even a fridge all from the 50s or mid century era. I don't know a whole lot about appliances but the things I have are electric and none of the cords are frayed. Friends keep saying don't use these things because they are 'too old' and are 'dangerous.' So, do I have to give up my vintage appliances out of safety? :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2011, 03:48 PM
    No, of course not. Don't listen to them. Except for a vintage microwave oven, if you have one of the really early ones. Fridges will consume twice the electricity the newest ones do, but that's about it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 05:11 PM
    The biggest problem with "old" appliances is energy use, finding parts and frayed cords which are the biggest issue since many of them contain asbestos wrapping. You can get replacement cords at HD or Lowe's or other places. Keep the vintage stuff working. I have a 1950's sears dehumidifier that still runs well. Not as efficient as new ones but I'll keep it going until it dies and then strip it and recycle parts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this mid century art ? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello does anyone out there know anything about these.. i cannot read the signature... any info would be greatly appreciated.

Is this mid century art? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a pair of limited edition signed mid century? / modern?? Lithos and can't make out the signature.i was told that these were worth some cash when i picked them up years ago.does anyone know who they are by??

1955 Mid Century Watercolor [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 1955 watercolor on paper of what I believe to be sailboats. I am having a tough time identifying the artist signature and would like to find out more about the artist. The signature looks like it says "R. --low" If anyone can help or point me in the direction of a resource...

Unidentified Large Mid Century Oil of Paris [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot read signature on bottom right. This is from my parents estate and I believe they acquired it in 50's or 60's (maybe earlier) I'm looking for information on the artist

View more questions Search