Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ricrac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Plumbing questions forum?
    I have a lift pump in the basement that pumps the downstairs water and sewage up to a septic tank. Last night we had a storm and the power went off. I noticed a strong smell of sewage came in from the lift tank/drain area. I found that the breaker had tripped when the power went off, once I reactivated the breaker, the pump pumped once and eventually the smell went away? Issues ? Rick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 09:41 AM

Has the breaker tripped before ? Possible battery back up system ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Rick, possible overload from lightning caused the trip. Is this a GFCI breaker? Dedicated circuit? If so, I'd replace it with a regular breaker. You can get a power outage signaling device, used in fire alarm systems. These operate from a battery backup source and emit a noise. Of course, with no power, you couldn't flush anyway.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 3, 2011, 12:53 PM

This happens during a storm. If this isn't a recurring problem and everything has returned to normal then I believe your worries are needless, Good luck, Tom
    Plumb1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Needs to be vented to the outside
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Hi Plumb

What the heck are you talking about? If you know anything about plumbing at all then you should know that installing a vent has already been done for this system and would do nothing to help with the problem presented as Ricrac said, "once I reactivated the breaker, the pump pumped once and eventually the smell went away".

Also, please note the date of this thread... from 2011?

Mark
    stapeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 11:49 AM
    When I run the hot water in the bath it seems to have brown rusty/sandy like substance left in the bath .I have a combi boiler for information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to create a forum ? A forum to charge users before they enter the forum? [ 4 Answers ]

Allot of users do that the admins of the forum how do they do that I want to start my own forum so users can register to my forum and pay a fee

Plumbing questions forum [ 8 Answers ]

I moved away from my condo for work. As I was going to be gone 4 months I wanted to turn off my hot water heater. The valve was frozen and I was advised to replace it with a lever valve, so I hired a contractor who did the job and I left town. A few days later I started to get emails about a...

Hey guys. I'm finishing my basement and have been hanging around the plumbing forum. [ 7 Answers ]

... for the last week. Now I'm wondering what everyone thinks about wiring. I have 3 open slots left in my breaker box (actually on the board). See this CAD diagram HERE. Each future room already has a ONE overhead light and there are a few scattered outlets in the basement. 1) Do you guys...

View more questions Search