Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boilerman28 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Can a person chrged with a crime and not convicted be denied employment?
    Can a person chrged with a crime and not yet convicted be denied employment?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 09:24 AM

What kind of job? What country? WHat state?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 09:54 AM

You say "not yet convicted" does that mean they are still pending trial, that they are charged, and will have to go to court still ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 09:59 AM

Short answer, yes. You have no right to employment and an employer can fail to hire you for no reason at all. However. We could benefit from knowing the details of the charges and the type of job.

Aug 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Received a speeding ticket,and DUI0.09.

Aug 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Applied for job as custodian.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 01:41 PM

Unless you are being discriminated against - yes, they hired other people facing the same charges - you have no case.

It's employment at will. They can hire (or fire) anyone they want to hire/fire unless there's a union or employment contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:02 PM

I guess first how did they know about it, since arrests don't show up on police back ground checks, and often not even private checks for a bit.

So unless you tell them how will they know.

But if the job requires you to drive one of their autos, that can be an issue
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:20 PM

Many employers will pass on someone who has a drinking problem and even smokers. Drives up their health plan costs.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 08:45 AM

Yes, they can legally not hire you if they so choose to. This would not be discrimination as it has nothing to do with race, religion, and being handicapped which are the only reasons you would be able to fight this. Having a DUI is not being discriminated against.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I be denied employment due to a disorderly conduct charge [ 5 Answers ]

I just had an offer for a job and I have t go through a background check. I was arrested for disorderly conduct two years ago when I was in college. It was from the university police department. I told them upfront when they asked after they offered the position. Im just wondering if this will...

Charged with a crime but not convicted [ 2 Answers ]

Charged with a crime but not convicted, what does it say on my background? How long does it take to pose on a criminial record?

Convicted of a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

4 years ago I have been arrested for DUI and Possession of THC, but all the charges were dismissed in the end. I read in my court statement, that 1st Offense DUI in WI it is not a crime. When they do a background check on me, (which they said they would before my second interview) they will...

Convicted of a crime [ 3 Answers ]

I am filing out an application for an organization that I used to work for and have filed out an application once before. There are 2 questions that I am unsure how to answer, because I do not recall how I answered them before. Convicted of a Crime/Felony? I was convicted of a crime nearly...

View more questions Search