Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2011, 04:13 AM
    Accent wall
    I have three walls painted in kind of light yellow or real light green from paint I had left over(satin). I didn't have enough to complete the fourth wall. My wife said accent walls are popular. I've got the ceiling white and I have semi-gloss white which I use for trim. I was wanting to use up the paint I have. Would either of these whites be with in general guide lines for an accent wall. I looked on line and couldn't confirm it. I thought I would get some input before I paint it. I can always repaint it if it doesn't work.

It turned out the wall with a door is not the best wall to accent and that's the one left, but I was planning on putting my certificates and diplomas on the wall. It's kind of like a study or personal room. The room is 10x10.

It also said on one website the accent wall is usually two shades darker.I searched under white accent since I have the extra flat and semi-gloss white. I just can't confirm it this is a good idea on my own before I paint the room.

Any suggestions or decorating rules for accent walls would add some insight before I paint the wall with the paint I have or buy more paint.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2011, 07:03 AM

U can get paint tinting tubes at your big box store and tint the white flat to a color that will make it an accent color. They also have color charts that will show you what will work with the color you have on walls.

After adding tint, paint a small piece of wood to see if color is what you want.If not dark enough add more tint.

Would not use semi gloss, use the flat.

Good luck Chuck

Aug 4, 2011, 05:03 AM
    Comment on creahands's post
    Thanks, I'm going to check into it.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Aug 4, 2011, 11:16 AM
    There are no rules in painting an accent wall unless you're paying big money to a designer! Go with the semi-gloss white which is washable. You could mix an 8 oz bottle of acrylic paint from hobby lobby or michaels to the white paint to tint it a little but the white will work fine with the color you have. You don't have to do the wall a dark color. If you want a color decide if the walls you have are yellow or green and do the opposite on the remaining wall. If you have any paint from the yellow/green walls paint a piece of paper and take it with you to the craft store to compare.
    You can upload a picture of the room and "paint" the wall on this site:
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

Aug 7, 2011, 04:27 PM
    I went to get an exact match to the color and it was not possible because the formula changed. So I went with getting it matched as they could. At first I was a little skeptical about the color but now that I have everything in the room I like the tone offset. It was not initially what I had intended to do but it turned out good. Like you said pattyg2, there are no rules. My first thoughts were what is a right design.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions on accent wall(s) (living room) I.e. - which walls to be painted, etc... [ 2 Answers ]

Was wondering about accent walls. How to go about picking the right color, which wall(s) to paint, pretty much a little bit of everything for a total amateur. Thank you.

Painting stucco fireplace wall.and accent bricks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm hoping that someone can help me with a few questions I have about my Fireplace in my craftsman/bungalow. I want to paint over the existing color on the fireplace wall, which is stucco. (The other walls in the room I've already painted). I'm also not too keen on the color of the...

Accent or Elantra? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm buying a brand new car and my question is: Hyundai Accent or Hyundai Elantra? I need it to back and forth to Nursing School 5 days a week. It's about 25 miles away and I need a safe, reliable car with awesome gas mileage! Thanks!

02 hyundai accent [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on a 02 accent that the heater stopped blowing air. I have replace the switch, fan motor, and the heater resister. What else could it be?

Having an accent [ 14 Answers ]

Is having an accent in English a bad or a good thing? Why or why not?

View more questions Search