Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Aug 3, 2011, 02:46 AM
    Specific advice toilet training a puppy?
    I've had my new Corgi pup for nearly a month now, he's 11 weeks old, and he's getting on swimmingly in some respects - he comes when you call him, he doesn't soil his crate over night, he doesn't cry, he's fine in the car/vets and with the other (fully vaccinated, naturally) dogs he's met, but I'm having problems with his toilet training.

I work from home so I can watch him all day. First thing in the morning I take him out of his crate and straight outside where he always goes for a wee. Then I bring him inside and give him his breakfast. Immediately after that when he's woken up properly I take him outside again. Nothing happens. I bring him inside and start to work, and keep an eye on him. Every time it looks like he's about to go, I run him outside. Every single time, he stops going, starts having a sniff around, maybe a chew on a plantpot and then lies down. I sit and watch him do nothing for about 10 minutes, and then bring him inside again where he, almost without fail, does his business on the living room floor the minute I take my eye off him.

It's like he gets sidetracked when I take him outside and he forgets that he needed the toilet. I realise that outside is new and exciting and full of smells, but does anybody have a suggestion on how to get him to associate the backyard with going to the toilet and not "playtime"? He's got another week before he can go out on walks - will the novelty of being outside wear off once that happens? Would it make more sense to try and train him to a walking regime? Is it just a case of patience and keeping at it? (I can do that! )

I guess my main question is the getting the back yard associated with toilet and not "new and interesting". He HAS pooped outside before, so I know he can do it, it just seems that he gets short term memory loss out there more often than not. Also, I know dogs aren't fully toilet trained until they're fully grown, but what level should I expect him to be at, at 11 weeks? He's the first pup I've had (since I was 7) and I've read all the books but they don't give you *specifics* that only people who own dogs can do...

Thanks! (And pics are available on request - I know what you're like! ;-) )
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:58 AM
    You are doing fine, and 11 weeks is still young.
    - Routine is good. He apparently needs more time after breakfast.
    - Walking him on a leash will exercise him more to activate his bowel and bladder, and he will want to mark places on the walk (maybe not this young, but soon).
    - Exaggerated praise when he does go is vital.
    - Cleaning up spots in the house is vital, so he doesn't think they are places that are OK to reuse.
    - When you do bring him back in and he hasn't gone, put him in his crate next to you. He'll cry if he has to go. Even that young, he doesn't need to go every hour or on demand, so you can set up a schedule that feels right and you can extend it bit by bit as he gets older.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 03:01 AM

Best advice is, ptience, you are dealing basically with baby at this point. His innerds are just getting the idea that perhaps he may have a regular pooping schedule in the next few weeks. Just like a human baby, in the first few weeks of birth are not necessarily on time but do get that way.

Sounds like you have a smart pup, you are diligent and that is the main priority; out at specific times, sniff around, and he will get the idea soon. There will be mistakes but he is still learning too.

Tick
    reubzwife Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 04:42 AM
    I would wait longer and totally eliminate the smell of the poop. Use eucalyptus oil, as it's a disinfectant and has a very powerful smell , just wait a liitle longer oustside with him and when he does eventually go make a HUGE deal out of it and when he does go inside(even in the middle of it take him outside ) say no! In a stern voice whislt inside but place him down on the grass then say good boy in a pleasant voice, so he can hear the changes of tone in your voice, it has worked for my 9week old pups (3 of them ) so it might help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice for training for my first marathon [ 6 Answers ]

I want to run a marathon but have never done anything like that before. I am planning to give myself about a year to train. Anyone have a good website or book for me to reference? Also, any other general advice?

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

How to go from outside training to potty pad training for our puppy? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old shih zui puppy and she is very well trained in using the bathroom outdoors. In this cold weather I find that she shivers a lot while outside and I always make sure she has a coat/sweater on. How can I get her to at least during the colder months or during rainy days to use...

Toilet training a dog--and I mean TOILET training. [ 6 Answers ]

It's always been a nice trick popular among cat owners sick of cleaning the litter box, or who just want to show off to their friends. There are many devices out on the market for easing a cat into the habit, but I've seen no such thing for dogs. So what am I talking about? Training an animal to...

Puppy Potty/Toilet Training.Upstairs? Downstairs? [ 8 Answers ]

We are toilet training our 9week old pup, he is good, most of the time. I have heaps of ideas and tips on this but it becomes a problem with night & early mornings as we live upstairs. He gets taken downstairs to go before we go to bed and sleeps upstairs. Is he just to young to take the hike down,...

View more questions Search