Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonisam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Adding an outlet
    I wanted to add an outlet on the wall over my workbench. I tapped into a 20amp line at the outlet. Only problem is that both the upper and lower screws were filled with the black/white and ground wires. I piggy backed on one anyway. Eveything seems to be OK. Am I doing anything wrong??
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2011, 07:20 PM

It should be OK, but proper way to do it (providing box is deep enough to accommodate everything,may need box extention) sounds like you have a line in and line out, so take the blacks and add 2 black pigtails and wire nut them all together. Do the same with whites. Grounds can be twisted together far enough up the wires and pinched together with a small slip on ground clamp (lowes or h.d. have them)and you should have 2ground tails left to tie into each plug. Then wire 1 black and 1 white pigtail to each plug.You could run just 1 pigtail out of wire nuts and just put small jumper from 1 plug to the other. But I like to keep them separate in case I ever have to work on one. Sounds more involved than it is. Hope this helps. D.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a 220V outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just removed a drop in range that was hard wired and I now want to take the wires from the wall and connect them to an outlet for a new free standing. There is a black, white, and red wire that was previously connected to our drop in. What do I need to know before I go to Lowe's and buy an...

Adding an additional outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I removed the receptical I was going to get power from and found 2 cables entering the box. One was a 14-2 and the other was a 14-3. Both black wires were connected to the brass screws and both white wires were on the silver screws. The red wire was pushed into the hole in the back next to the hot...

Adding outlet to 220v circuit [ 2 Answers ]

Learning as I go, so please forgive me if this is rudementary. I will explain what I need as best I can. I need to add two new outlets to an existing 10-3 wire 30 amp 220v circuit in my shop. Currently, the circuit only has one outlet on it that is in the wrong area of the shop for my needs. ...

Adding an outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to place an outlet in the bathroom. Right now I have two swishes that control two different lights, inside the box I have two black wires and two white wires, how can an add an outlet and keep the two lights. Thanks, koky1

Adding outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I am adding outlet in my kitchen. The circuit is 20 amp and 12-2 wire. Can I add 14-2 wire off 20 amp outlet to new 15 amp outlet? It is only 3 feet between outlets. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search