Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadieanne2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Landlord tenant law
    I am renting a room in my apartment. I let the people move in early and now it's the 2nd and they don't want to pay rent. They are trying to say they have thirty days to move. But they haven't paid there is no contract whatsoever and I want to re rent. They have only been here a week. Don't they just have to get out? Everyone go there separate ways?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadieanne2010 View Post
    i am renting a room in my apartment. i let the people move in early and now its the 2nd and they dont want to pay rent. They are trying to say they have thirty days to move. but they havent paid there is no contract whatsoever and i want to re rent. They have only been here a week. Dont they just have to get out? everyone go there seperate ways?
    If you agreed to let the room to these people in exchange for monthly rent, there is a contract, albeit not a written one (a/k/a lease). Yes, you will have to evict them which, depending on your jurisdiction, might take a while.

But although they can't be forced to get out immediately, you should sue them for what they owe you, and the damages they caused you breach of contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 04:08 PM

You may get them out in under a month, but you will have to evict, you will have to give them a pay and quit notice, and then take them to court to evict them.

I take it, you have never really been a landlord. You need to learn the laws and protect yourself. Never allow them to stay 10 min until you have all your money up front.

Dead beats are trained how to cheat landlords
    Bet you did not check their references either
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2011, 04:56 PM

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

When was rent due? If its overdue, you give them a pay or quit notice. How long you have to give them depends on where you are. If they don't pay up by deadline, the next day you go to housing court for an eviction order.

These people knew you didn't know what you were doing. And you are probably going to suffer until you get them out.

Next time ask for AND check references. Get first month AND a security deposit BEFORE you allow anyone to move in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord tenant law [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A Tenant Who Moved Out Of Our House When We Had A Plumbing Leak. She Has Called Twice In The Last Three Weeks, But Did Not Give Us A Phone Number Or Forwarding Address Either Time, Even Though We Requested It. I Tried To Find Her On The Web, But The Leads Were A De3ad End Of Past Addresses,...

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

Tenant landlord law [ 6 Answers ]

Last Saturday my roommate up and moved out while I was at a baseball game. We have a signed lease which I am assuming makes it a binding contract and her liable for the remainder of the lease. But my real question is... the landlord allowed her to sign a lease to live in another apartment on the...

Tenant Landlord NY law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NY apt for 27 years, advised landlord I might be moving out in 2 months due to a strong business possibility in another State. He advised me to sign 1 more year lease in case bsnss doesn't go through and added a clause I can break the lease with a 30 days prior written notice to him, I...

View more questions Search