Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petersben27 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Gfci breaker tripping when you plug something in.
    My GFCI breaker keeps tripping when I pug something in. Even when I plug in a power extension. Everything seems fine when it is tested, and I get 120 volts on the meter.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 2, 2011, 10:50 AM
    It has been my experience that periodically GFCI breakers fail for no apparent reason. They're easy to replace which will cure the problem.
    petersben27 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 10:56 AM
    I have replaced the breaker, same thing. I have 4 different locations 4 different panels same thing. Other power on panels work fine, Non GFCI breakers.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2011, 01:38 PM

The Curly Pigtail on the GFI breaker connect to the Neutral bar.
    The Neutral of the load connects to the GFI Neutral Terminal.
    If you plug in an extension cord in the GFI and it trips, cord may be bad?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 2, 2011, 01:56 PM
    Since a GFCI senses any imbalance between the hot side and the neutral side, it would appear that your extension cord may be bad. Did you install the correct amperage breaker?
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Just to cover all the bases, if this was a new installation, make sure the wires were tied into the line side and not the load side. Though I'm not sure what happens if that's the case.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 05:14 AM
    What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by petersben27 View Post
    I have replaced the breaker, same thing. I have 4 different locations 4 different panels same thing.
    How can you replace one breaker and have 4 locations?

Please explain.

Does the GFI trip only using the one extension cord?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI breaker tripping (hot tub) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've read the other posts on this topic but wanted to ask for my specific situation. I wired this spa myself and it has worked well for over a year with only a few incidences of tripping here and there. Now I can't get the breaker to stay on without tripping for more than a day at most. When I...

GFCI breaker tripping mysteriously [ 21 Answers ]

I recently installed some outdoor receptacles for stock tank de-icers for a horse farm. They are regular 120V receptacles, but since I have to power six 500-watt heaters at six different locations, I chose to run them on two different circuits. Otherwise I would have had to use really large (and...

GFCI breaker tripping [ 10 Answers ]

I installed a hot tub and when I connect the white wire from the gfci breaker to the neutral/ground bar it trips, otherwise the tub runs fine

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

GE Refrigerator keeps tripping the GFCI switch when plug in. [ 2 Answers ]

I cleaned my refrigerator and shortly afterwards it trips the GFCI outlet every time its plugged in. Did I blow a fuse inside the refrigerator or short circuit something out. If there is a fuse where is it usually located. Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search