Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BelieveInKarma Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 06:18 AM
    Burned wood furniture
    I have a wood unit that I had a candle on top of the candle burned to the bottom and the heat from the glass of the container made a burn on the wood. Can I fix this? Or at least able to make the damage less intense? Attached is a picture. Help please!
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2011, 06:36 AM
    Sure. Get one sheet each of different grits of sandpaper, maybe 40, 100 and 180, and keep sanding away at it. Get the tiniest can of Minwax finish that matches the stain and apply two coats.
    BelieveInKarma Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Thanks! Will all this sanding create a "hole-like" appearance on the top??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 2, 2011, 09:14 AM
    Yes, depending on how deep the burn is.
    You can sand down the entire top with a belt sander to even it out, a lot of work.
    You can fill the dent with wood filler, which never looks good.

I forgot to mention that if your wood is veneer, it might be so thin that none of this will apply; it will sand down to the layer below such as plywood or particle board. You would carve out a cigar shape around the burn, lift out the veneer or scrape it out, and glue in a matching piece of veneer, something that usually requires an experienced woodworker.

You can tell if the cabinet is veneer by looking at the edges. If you see no end grain, it's veneer. Veneer might meet at the edges or it might be a separate piece around the edge, with the grain running perpendicular to the top and sides. That's veneer.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 05:31 PM
    For surface burns, I use an old fashion single blade razor. Carefully scrape the burn area to lighter wood, use minwax or other stain and then make a small template of the hole and spray polyurethane through the hole. Probably can't fix completely but most likely close enough. If all else fails, strip the top completely and refinish. Looks like a mahogany surface. Is it full thickness wood or veneer? Unless you have a lot of experirnce with a belt sander, don't use it as you will most likely get gouges. A round orbital sander is better for this type of work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning wood furniture [ 2 Answers ]

I am a janitor at a local business downtown that has several large business type desks. The wood is a light yellow/blonde & it is shiny. Except there are smudges & fingerprints that absolutely will not come off. I have used lemon pledge, vinegar, alcohol, car wax, car buffers, over the counter...

Wood furniture stain [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I just moved to our new house. The previous owner of the house has a some outdoor furnitures left so we decided to keep them since they still look good. But one round wooden table which they said they bought from an online store has a big stain on it. The stain is bit big and it...

New wood furniture smell [ 3 Answers ]

How can I keep my clothes from smelling like my new dresser drawers?

Refinishing and staining wood furniture [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to refinish a wood side table. I once tried that environmentalorange stuff and I really thought it was a pain. It was very messy. Also the table has some scratches. I am unsure of the type of wood of this table. I would appreciate any input from someone with experience.

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

View more questions Search