Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeny35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Determine the predetermined overhead rate if the predetermined overhead rate...
    The management of Sharrar Corporation would like to investigate the possibility of basing its predetermined overhead rate on activity at capacity rather than on the estimated amount of activity for the year. The company's controller has proveded an example to illustrate how this new system would work. In this example, the allocation base is machine-hours and the estimated amount of the allocation base for the upcoming year is 45,000 machine-hours. In addition, capacity is 52,000 machine-hours and the actual activity for the year is 47,100 machine-hours. All of the manufacturing overhead is fixed and is $1,029,600 per year. For simplicity, it's assumed that this is the estimated manufacturing overhead for the year as well as the manufacturing overhead at capacity and the actual amount of manufacturing overhead for the year.

Required:
    A) Determine the predetermined overhead rate if the predetermined overhead rate is based on the estimated amount of the allocation base.

B) Determine the underapplied or overapplied overhead for the year if the predetermined overhead rate is based on the estimated amount of the allocation base.

C) Determine the predetermined overhead rate if the predetermined overhead rate is based on the amount of the allocation base at capacity

D) Determine the underapplied or overapplied overhead for the year if the predetermined overhead rate is based on the amount of the allocation base at capacity.
    matthew2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2011, 05:12 PM
    The management of sharrar corporation would like to investigate the possibility of basing its predetermined overhead rate on activity at capacity rather than on the estimated amount of activity for the year.the company's controller has provided an example to illustrate how this new system would work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Predetermined Overhead Rate [ 0 Answers ]

I need to calculate the predetermined overhead rate. Can someone please show me how this is done? Thank you in advance. Direct labor expended on jobs completed in month 1 $100,000 Direct material used up $500,000

Predetermined overhead rate [ 4 Answers ]

Hai all, I want to know, why firms use a predetermined overhead rate to alocate the overhead to a job or a product? Just for my knowledge only. Thanks

Determine the predetermined shop overhead rate per direct labor hour [ 0 Answers ]

Willie's Engine Shop uses a job order cost system to determine the cost of performing engine repair work. Estimated costs and expenses for the coming period are as follows: Willie's Engine Shop uses a job order cost system to determine the cost of performing engine repair work. Estimated costs...

Predetermined overhead rate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in cost accounting and I just don't understand how to calculate the predetermined overhead rate if there aren't any allocation base given for the denominator.:confused:

Predetermined Overhead Rate & Overhead Applied [ 1 Answers ]

B3 Company is a manufacturing firm that uses job-order costing. The company applies overhead to jobs using a predetermined overhead rate based on machine-hours. At the beginning of the year, the company estimated that it would work 24,000 machine-hours and incur $216,000 in manufacturing overhead...

View more questions Search