Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pavergirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Old Bank Account
    My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Does he remember which bank he banked with at that time?

Feb 3, 2007, 07:08 AM
    That is the issue he does not know what bank they dealt with as she handled all the finances.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 07:42 AM
    He will need to look though all his papers and try to find some info on it.

Or try and find his ex and ask her. There is no way that I know of to find your old bank account without at least knowing something about where your bank was.

What town was it in, he had to go to the bank at some time.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 07:47 AM
    That is a bit of a problem.

Isn't there anyone that he knows that still might have contact with her? If not, my suggestion would be, since it is the oldest of the statements, be nice to the auditor (you should always do that anyway -- they are just doing their jobs and it is nothing personal) and explain what happened. Ask the auditor if he/she has any ideas how to go about getting the information he needs? He might do one of a few things:
    Give you some guidance; or, tell you that he will adjust the audit just to include 2001 and up; or, will hit you with penalties. I have found that if I am nice to them they are usually pretty nice and helpful. He may give your boyfriend more time to try to locate his ex. He also may have access to a database that he can do a search on and find out which bank your boyfriend and his ex had their account at.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I hope this helps a bit.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Sorry, didn't see Father Chuck on here when I answered. My thoughts exactly about the town he lived in but maybe because the relationship was disastrous, he just can't remember anything. Sometimes we do have a tendency to block those "bad moments" in our history. :)

Feb 3, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Thanks so much we will keep searching for the ex and will try to work with the auditor.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Does he still have his copy of his return? In his own file there might be a check for something used as a deduction.

Why would he need the old account unless he needed to prove interest income? In which case he should have a copy.

Why would your boyfriend have changed banks?

The ex-wife's Social Security Number should be on the joint return. Contact the local Social Security office to get the last known address for that SSN. AND the IRS should have her current address from her 2005 income tax return. So ask the agent. Do one of those "people finder" internet things. Ask her parents.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Do you think the information might be on his credit report?
    M.Irshad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 01:53 AM
    My account no is 01600060007166
    My name muhammad irshad

This account is open or close

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Attachment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if...

Garnishment on our bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Two days ago I found out that a collection agency has gotten a court order fro a judgment against our checking account. Apparently this was for a debt my husband had. We are both on the checking account. My Apparently never received a letter, notice or anything else to notify us that there was a...

Hold on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I deposited my federal student loan check in my bank account and a hold was placed on the account by an unknown creditor. I never received notice. Can my federal studen loan monies be held if it is to be used for education?

Garnished Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - My bank account was recently garnished as an attempt to collect on a Judgement against me. The amount of the Judgement is more than what the balance of my bank account was. The current balance of my bank account shows as negative in the amount of what is owed for the judgement. If I...

View more questions Search