Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiemoomoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Illinois too far away
    I live in California and the school I want to go to is in Illinois. I don't know how to handle going that far away from my family... help
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 11:35 AM

How old are you? Which school?

I know that some Illinois universities will allow almost total distance learning as long as the student comes onto campus for orientation freshman year. There may be a requirement to spend a short amount of time on campus each school year thereafter, depending on the school.

Each school's admissions office should be more than willing to explain their policies on distance learning.

But why do distance learning? The most fun of it all is to meet new people, be involved in real-life classroom discussions, eat new foods in the cafeteria, and stay up late with dormmates studying for exams and writing papers. The college community experience is worth as much as the education you will get.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
    Don't you have another whole year to work on this? It's too late to think about applying to colleges in August. Unless you are talking about private (high) school.

CA has such a huge and good university system for good prices, you can start there if you are worried, and transfer later. Are your parents trying to encourage you to leave to get you to be more independent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2011, 12:19 PM

What is your real question here? You posted this under the Distance learning forum. This forum is for question about learning from home or at a distance, generally things like correspondence schools or online universities.

But you seem to be more concerned with how to handle being away from home, family and friends for so long and that would be a different forum.

So please post back and let us know how we can help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do when someone dies in Illinois [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law died recently and my husband is the exector of his estate. He had a living will and his assets were in a trust with my husband named. Aside from filing the will with the Cook County clerk, what else needs to be done? He had a modest home not worth more than $60,000 and not much...

Dying without a will in Illinois [ 2 Answers ]

This is my second marriage and we have no children, but I have one from my first marriage. What happen if I die without a will? My husband and I own everything together. He has his parents and five sibblings. How can I make sure that my son get half of what we my husband and I own? I talk...

CC debt in Illinois [ 2 Answers ]

Due to my wife and I losing our jobs two years ago, plus my heart surgery, we can no longer pay our CC debt (we were current on $123,000 in CC debt until 5/08). Our savings are gone. She now has a part-time job and I do what I can on eBay, but it's barely enough to pay our expenses, not counting...

View more questions Search