Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LORRAINEB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
    No taxes taken out of my employee check
    I have started a small painting business, I had several workers, about 4 of them only worked 1 or 2 weeks, making under $600. I wrote out checks to them from my painting account, I have 1 employee that made $3,000. What form do I need to send him so I can claim it as a deduction, no taxes were taken from his checks.

Tom
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
    If you are not witholding taxes then you can get in trouble with the IRS. Either that or you are treating these workers as independent contractors, not employees. In which case you report what you pay them using a 1099.
    LORRAINEB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
    I paid employee with checks totalling $3,000. Do I have to send them a 1099?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Again, if you didn't not withhold taxes I would NOT refer to them as an employee. Because not withholding from an employee's pay will get you in trouble. If you pay any person for services amounting to more than $100, you are required to send them a 1099
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 05:37 PM
    First if you were not withholding taxes, paying unemployment taxes, paying your share of the social security ( they pay 1/2 you pay 1/2) on the withholdings and they were actually employees, you broke the law.

If they were not employees but contract workers, they you pay them without withholding anything and give them a 1099.

So yes at this point you give them a 1099 and hope they don't report you or complain about not doing their withholdings property.

If you have employees, and they only work one day, you withhold taxes.

If you don't know how to do it, learn or arrange to have them paid though an employment agency. Our company has 100's of employees but all of our employees are paid though a employee agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Treasury Check for refund of overpaid taxes [ 20 Answers ]

Hi , I have received a US treasury check stating I over paid the taxes in 2005 and IRS is returning the money. The problem is the amount of the check I received is close to 50% of the my pay for entire year. I never over paid the taxes. I did my taxes for 2005 in March 2006 and I got...

Employee way of thinking [ 4 Answers ]

I own a small business. I don't understand why some employees think the place can't run without them. I have terminated a few employees and every one of them have said that none of the customers will ever come back if they aren't there. I don't understand what their psychological make up is to make...

Check stubb and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How do you use a check stubb to fill out a tax form?

Employee Performance Reviews [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I have just walked into work this morning to be asked if I am OK to have an employee performance review at 3pm this afternoon. I need to prepare for what may be asked and also some insight into why it may have been called. Anyone out there got any advice?

Overseas Employee [ 4 Answers ]

I am working overseas as an employee not contractor. We get paid and they take out taxes. The question is how many exemptions should one take? Do you try to max it out or just use min say 2? If anyone knows of web pages where I can read about this and more please advise. Have a good one. Thanks for...

View more questions Search