Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AshleyTheGoth Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Jul 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
    I have Bi polar, more likely to get post-natal depression?
    All threads merged and edited/T

Hey guys,
    I think I'm pregnant and I have bi polar, does this make me more likely to get post-natal depression?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 06:45 AM

Not necessarily. If you think you are pregnant and you are on medication for bi-polar disorder, it is urgent that you seek medical attention now in order to diagnose your pregnancy and determine your medication regime.
    AshleyTheGoth Posts: 16, Reputation: 6

Jul 30, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Both have mental disorders- how to cope?
    Hey guys,
    My boyfriend and I are pretty much in each others pockets all the time, we both suffer huge HUGE abandonment issues and some trust issues to, he suffers OCD and Bi-polar disorder and I have a very severe form of bipolar, we are both medicated and generally very stable people.

He's been really mood swingy lately, he has been taking his medication, so I don't know what's wrong. If he doesn't talk to anyone else he normally talks to me but he's been drawn into himself.

Last time he got like this was a few months before we got together- he tried to starve himself to death and almost did, he ended up in hospital being fed every 10 minutes. I'm scared it may happen again.

I myself act the same as I was also hospitalized for a month just a few weeks before I met him - so I hope you can see why I'm concerned.

I'm trying not to worry (as I think I'm pregnant as well) and hoping he will sort things out in his head. I was wondering if there are any other couples out there with any advice?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 08:34 AM

Both of you need to report back to your psychiatrists or the doctors who are prescribing for you. Apparently, the meds aren't working very well. And iuf you're truly pregnant, your doctor needs to know that immediately!

Are you both taking the meds correctly?

How old are the two of you? Are you two in regular counseling?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Happy Natal Day! :) [ 0 Answers ]

People of the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island hold “birthday” parties for their provinces on the first Monday of August. Huge birthday cakes are prepared and distributed. Other events include communal meals, parades, sporting activities and firework displays. It is...

Pre natal vitamins [ 4 Answers ]

Did someone had a same problems? After I removed IUD doctor recommend pre- natal vitamins . After few week I got sick I was vomiting all the time, and I was sick every time I was in a car, First I though I was pregnant, but I was not I stop taking pre natal vitamins and now I am...

My partner has pre and post natal depression and is bi polar [ 1 Answers ]

During our relationship (approx 2 years) it was turbulent and pre the birth of our son (at stage 3 months of pregnancy) she kicked me out of home and hated me with a passion and was going to hand over our child after 3 months of breast feeding wholly to me for full time care. We pregressed. We got...

Pre-natal vitamins [ 3 Answers ]

I have been taking Pre-natal vitamins while trying to get pregnant. Someone told me that it makes your body think you are already pregnant and it's harder to get pregnant on them? I don't think this is true at all, since I have read a lot on this. Anyone else like to confirm that for me?

View more questions Search