Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2011, 07:51 PM
    adding a room to house
    Hi There:

We have an outside patio area that is approximately 11x14, has tiled flooring, electricity, and is attached by 2 walls of the house. If we decided to make it into a functioning room, what should we expect for costs, labor and materials??

Thanks so much for your time!

God Bless,

Ginger :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2011, 05:47 AM
    This is one of those what if questions. The answer depends on where you live, what permits are required, how expensive the windows, doors, lights etc will be. Shed roof, gable roof. Hip roof? You will need to wire at least 2 walls for code. Get 3 estimates from recommended sources. Very rough guess $60 per square foot minus 2 wall costs. Patio floors are usually sloped so you may have door issues and floor leveling concerns.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 06:17 AM

But then is your electric system up to code, if you add a room will you need to replace anything to bring it up to code ?

Is there a foundation that would work with a room where there is tiled floor or will it have to be changed and a new foundation that can support a room ( and be up to code) added.

I would get two or three bids for the work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vents from ac and heat to a new room [ 1 Answers ]

We have a garage that we are renovating into a bedroom. We are looking to tap into our existing heat system and AC system and run it to the new room. We are looking at have a professional take care of it. Can someone ballpark the cost for me?

Adding a laundry room to my home [ 4 Answers ]

In my home, the washer and dryer are located in the kitchen. I would like to build a small laundry room directly off the kitchen. Currently there is a brick patio that is not level where I would like to put the addition. How do I build a concrete slab over the brick to support the addition? How do...

Adding on a Utility Room [ 1 Answers ]

In the back of my house I have a 1/2 bath with the washer and dryer in the bathroom. On the other side of the wall there is a 12'X12' slab of concrete. I have thought about using that slab by having a contractor build an additional room there and making it be a utility room and making the bathroom...

Adding New Laundry Room [ 34 Answers ]

We would like to add a second laundry closet to our home. Currently we have one in the basement (where my mother-in-law) lives, but we would like to add one so as to minimize the need to bother her when we do laundry. The proposed location for the new laundry closet is more or less immediately...

View more questions Search