Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abeyout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Upstairs odd smells?
    I live in a house in Charlotte NC with an upstairs room. Last July during an extremely high heat index/100 degree period I notice a strange smell upstairs. It was a sweet pungent odor and it became stronger has the heat index rose. It almost has a funeral home type formaldehyde smell. Here's link to someone that has the same smell upstairs. Any ideas. The house is about 7 years old. Thanks.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Indoor-Air-Quality-3586/2008/7/Odd-smell-upstairs.htm
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 29, 2011, 02:12 PM

I have never ever smelled formaldehyde in a funeral home. They go to great lengths to make sure that no odours reach anywhere where people are greiving. Otherwise, what would be the point ? In fact, I don't think that chemical has an odour. If funeral homes were not diligent, then it would not be a chemical you would be smelling. A dead animal, dead human has a sickly sweet smell.

You could have some dead animals in crawl spaces, bats, squirrels, whatever, so your job is to find these carcasses and get rid of them, to get rid of the odour.

Or, hire someone to do it.

No thanks, won't open your link.
    Tick
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 29, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Sweet pungent = dead animal.
    Funeral home smell might be ammonia. That could be from urine from live animals. It could also just be from death.
    Live ones you can usually hear making a racket, unless there's a lot of insulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odd things happening/fishy smells [ 21 Answers ]

I have been having some odd experiences lately and would like some possible answers. First, about my house. My house is only 16 years old, with only 2 previous owners. They were 2 families, and no one ever died in the house or in any of the houses in my neighborhood. About 2 years ago, strange...

Dimond 80 heater - smells odd after service [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 12 year old diamond 80 heater that has never had any problems until this winter. The fan started running all the time so I called a repair service. They replaced a safety switch and did a maintenance on the heater. That fixed the initial problem but after 2 days the fan started...

I have 2 thermostats, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs, the upstairs always runs to cold [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1 heating/AC unit and 2 thermostats. 1 for the entire downstairs and 1 for the room above my garage. The duct for the upstairs room has a butterfly valve that I think is supposed to be controlled by the upstairs thermostat. The upstairs room is always warmer in the winter and cooler in the...

Sink smells like sulfer, my husband says it smells like bleach [ 4 Answers ]

Our downstairs bathroom sink smells like sulfer to me... my husband says it smells like bleach. :confused: It seems to have the more of an odor in the morning. This is the only sink that smells this way. We are on county water. I just want to brush my teeth with clean smelling water.:D ...

What could be the cause of : Upstairs toilet backs up into Upstairs bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

The upstairs toilet has been backing up and emptying into the upstairs bathtub. The only other toilet in this house is in the basement which is working. The house is connected to a town sewer system. What could be the cause?

View more questions Search