Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Jan 31, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Can mtg contract imply policies if not specifically addressed in th
    If a mortgage contract does not specifically state that a payment cannot be deferred, or has no reference to deferring a payment, can a mortgage company state that they have certain policies in effect regarding to this matter, then later state that the policy quoted was 'not real' and that they do not have to state on the contract what the policy is regarding deferment of a payment/s is?

Example, you have asked to defer a payment and are told that you must be 3 months behind in payments before you can make a request that the payment be deferred. The request is then sent to a board for review and they make the determination as to whether they will allow the deferral.

Later, ask about the policy and are told that the information you were given is not policy and that the company does not defer payments. You state that there is no mention of this in your contract and are told that the mortgage company does not have to disclose this type of information on the contract, that it is implied.

Can they do that?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Without reading the specific document I will say that yes, they can do that. Mortgage notes and mortgages have a specific statement that all payments are payable when due and failure to make a payment will be a default.

Deferring a payment, if it is not specifically allowed in the documents, is not required. That doesn't mean that you can't request that they defer a payment. But they don't have to do it and they don't even have to consider doing it unless your mortgage documents say that they have to consider it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Contract Binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My Mortgage broker contacted World Savings for a equity or re-finance loan on my home of 27 years in Sarasota. FL. I received in the mail 2 sets of documents from World Savings on Jan. 11, 2007, of the same. One said your Loan Documents... sign and return with a pre-paid envelope. Loan amount of...

Can I get out of a new mortgage contract? [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently signed papers to buy a house (35 days ago). But just discovered I was misled and lied to about the terms of the contract. The way they (mortgage broker and Title agency) explained the contract is not at all how it is. They totally lied to me in order to make the sale. Is there...

Cancelling a mortgage contract [ 2 Answers ]

What happens if I cancel a mortgage contract if I am unable to make the payments and cancel before I have signed the bank loan papers? The sellers have my promise money and I am going to pay for the appraisel. What legal rights do the sellers have to make me take out a loan? It has bee about...

Voiding a mortgage contract [ 3 Answers ]

How do I write a letter to void a mortgage contract based on finances?

Accounting policies [ 1 Answers ]

Are these policies by a firm reasonable according to GAAP? 1) 2 managers spent almost all of their time supervising the construction and development of a hotel and training its staff. When the buildling was completed, the building, plus the managers' wages were capitalized as the cost of the...

View more questions Search