Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13ecca Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Thyroid problem?
    I'm 19 years old, 20 in November, and have recently been having hot flushes and excessive sweating.
    I googled it and found quite a few site said it could be thyroid problems, I also noticed I have a few other signs too.
    I've always had irregular periods but never thought anything of it. Depression which I just put down to having a hard time recently. Hair loss, which I put down to depression. Being over weight and now these hot flushes.
    I was just wondering first of all how do I go about changing doctor. I have a male doctor and really don't feel comfortable talking to him and then how would they go about testing me for thyroid problems?
    Does it even sound like thyroid problems or am I just over reacting and it's just crazy teenage hormones?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 27, 2011, 03:06 PM

Call your doctor's office and ask if they have a female physician. Or you can look at other network providers and see if they have a female physician.

Hair loss especially is something a doctor should look at, as is unexplained changes in weight. The doctor will be able to tell what's up with your thyroid (if anything) by doing some blood work. That'll be the only way to find out.

You could also just be flipping out - happens to me all the time!
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 05:54 AM
    Could be thyroid but could easily be something else as well. The first thing a doctor will do if they suspect thyroid malfunction is to determine your TSH level (thyroid stimulating hormone), which is done with simple blood-work. If you can't talk the doctor into it but still want to know, or if you don't have insurance or prefer to avoid needles or can't get to a doctor, etc. there are home tests that use a finger-prick. This one is $30

http://www.testcountry.com/products.html?product=1033

If you go this route, make sure you buy a test that will detect hyperactive (overactive) AND hypoactive (underactive) thyroid activity - both are common but I believe some of the home tests are only good for one or the other. Also, keep in mind that low TSH means over-active thyroid and high TSH means under-active thyroid (so it's a little backwards).

All in all though, definitely find a doctor that you are comfortable with and talk to him/her. Overlooking or ignoring symptoms, as well as relying solely on self-diagnosis, can be dangerous. Most problems caught early are easily treated. Good luck
    lee12 Posts: 83, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 05:56 AM
    Also - if it does turn out you have a thyroid issue don't be concerned, they are pretty common and usually nothing to be too worried about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm aged 43 & I have thyroid problem & my libido level is bad ? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm aged 43 male living in south India , having thyroid problem for about 2 years , I'm prescribed Thryronorm 50mg tab : I take this tab every day morning in my empty stomach . Now the problem is my sex drive has come down which means to be precise my penis is not getting harder any more . Is...

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if levothyroxine comes from pig, or is it 100% natural.

Thyroid problem [ 1 Answers ]

I think I might have a thyroid problem I have gained so much weight, I don't get my period every month, I feel Fatigue I feel a little bit of Depression and Anxiety I have Difficulty Losing Weight I eat right and exercise I am so scared I am only 15 What should I do?:o :confused: :(

Thyroid problem reason for hair loss? [ 4 Answers ]

How alopecia areata can be treated. I want to ask one more query as my weight is losing and my hair are falling so can thyroid be one of reasons for hair fall. Thanks prabhjot

View more questions Search