Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4537claire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 09:58 AM
    How to ask my boyfriend to contribute to bills?
    My boyfriend moved in with me a year and a half ago, and has not contributed to bills, rent or food at all, however he does pay for dinner when we eat out about once a week.

We recently went on a big holiday, where he paid the majority of the trip, flights accommodation (it wame to £3k for my half)I am paying him back as and when I can (£500 here and there), but have raised the fact that he hasn't paid for anything at all, and maybe we should make it fair and call it quits, to which he strongly disagrees.I feel in a catch 22 as I am struggling to pay for everything and to pay time back also.

We both have quite well paid jobs, he does have a property that he doesn't live in as it is a 'project' that he is doing up over a number of years and it is a bit of a building site. His point is that he is paying the mortgage on that and council tax bills etc, so he can't contribute to me.

I can't help feeling that things are totally unfair, but he doesn't see that al all.
    Help?

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 10:27 AM

Simple, get the bills out, tell him he will start paying part of the bills.

Lock the bedroom door on him and let him sleep on the couch till he agrees.
    liongal Posts: 82, Reputation: 58

Jul 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4537claire View Post
    I can't help feeling that things are totally unfair, but he doesnt see that al all.
    help?
    Unfair is an under statement! Your going to have to get much firmer with him as his measly 1nce a week contribution is not good enough... And oh by the way, he never paid for the holiday if your paying him back; so stop making him think he paid the three grand if your paying every penny back.

This is insane, tell him to leave and conduct your relationship from separate homes, or tell him to pay his share of thehousehold bill slike a real man. (shakes head)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 06:27 AM

When did he buy this property and where was he living before he moved in with you? What was the understanding about bills when he moved in?

I would ask him where he expected to live room and board free while he played with his 'property' for years. I doubt any other landlord would agree to what he thinks is 'okay'. Why should you?

Does he at least help with chores or anything else around the home?

I think I would be telling him that he can start contributing to the household or find another place to live. The loan for the vacation should be easier to pay back without his drain on the household.
    OCGAL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 02:47 AM
    I'm in a similar situation. My boyfriend said his family moved into this house. So, he's been staying with me for over 4 months. I've asked him to contribute to my mortgage payment. He said he's unable to. That he has his own mortgage payment and other bills to pay. He said he's had a large business loss lately and is just trying to survive. My boyfriend does buy food and cook dinner most nights. I'm very stressed over finances most of the time. So, this contribution does not seem like enough. We've had arguments over this. Each time we talk things through and are still together. Since nothing really changes, the frustration continues to build.

In your case, I don't think you should have to pay him a cent for the trip you went on. I would stop paying him and tell him you consider the trip to a fair exchange for his share of household expenses.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So, my roommate and her boyfriend refuse to pay their portion of the utility bills [ 7 Answers ]

So, my roommate and her boyfriend refuse to pay their portion of the utility bills, tampered with the meter and got a fine added, and have made living in the house unbearable, but since they won't pay their portions of the utility bill, I couldn't get electricity on at a new place and had to...

Just moved in with boyfriend.How should we handle the bills in this situation? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months. He asked me to move in and when I accepted I offered to help with bills and he said "don't worry about it." This conversation happened THE DAY I agreed to move in.. His divorce is almost final and he'll take away about 20k in debt. I have no debt, but I...

Can I contribute to Roth IRA? [ 2 Answers ]

I was thinking of opening a ROTH IRA, but was confused about the income requirements for contributing to ROTH IRA. I got married last year (2007). Both me and my spouse are on F1 VISA status (since Aug 2003). I had to file my 2007 tax return as a non resident alien and hence as "Married filing...

HUGE heating bills, VERY LOW cooling bills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, first timer here. I bought this 43-year-old house last October, app 2000 sq ft, trilevel (main living level, 2 BR/bath up 7 stairs, 2 more BR/bath up 7 more stairs on top level). My heating bills last winter (2 year old Lennox AA600 80% efficiency furnace) were really high, around $300 per...

View more questions Search