Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepti_cableandwireless Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Can I get Tax benefits if my husband show as her spouse was on H4 during tax exemptio
    Hello,

My details:

Name- deepti
    Status- married
    Visa- h4

My husband went to US from India on January 1 2007. I have also joined him. I am eager to know , will we able to get tax exemtions if he mention me as dependent . Our stay in US is till August 2007. Can we get some tax benefits.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 11:27 AM
    If read this right, you entered the U.S. with your husband on 1 January 2007, and will leave sometime in August 2007.

Your husband is on H-1 or H-1B and you are on H-4.

Because you will not end 2007 as resident aliens, you will have to file as dual-status aliens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

Tax id for spouse and kid [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have just arrived to US. I am on H1 visa and here along with my spouse and kid (1 year). I have my SSN with me and I'd got when I travelled here last time. That time I came alone. I will have to apply for Income -Tax this time and I have submitted my W-4 to my company. My questions...

Tax Benefits when selling on Contract [ 3 Answers ]

Can you give be a brief overview on what I need to claim as income and can write off as deductions when selling on contract? Do you have a CPA file your taxes? Also, do you set up a separate business or just file under your own social security number? Thanks again, Lora

Claiming tax benefits for dependednt spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US from last 8 months on H1 B visa in IL. My spouse will be joining me in November on H4 visa and we are planning to go back to india by mid December. When I file my returns, can I file considering my spouse as dependednt. My spouse is having job and getting salary in india. ...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

View more questions Search