Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scared aunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
    How do I contest an adoption in Indiana?
    We my husband and I are in the process of adopting my niece bio mom only has 3 days left to contest she sent a letter asking for her decket sheet and submitted a paper for a free lawyer but did not say anything about contesting the adoption do you think she will get this done in 3 days or do you think we are in the home streatch
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scared aunt View Post
    we my husband and i are in the process of adopting my neice bio mom only has 3 days left to contest she sent a letter asking for her decket sheet and submitted a paper for a free lawyer but did not say anything about contesting the adoption do you think she will get this done in 3 days or do you think we are in the home streatch
    Has a hearing been scheduled for the adoption?

Normally at the hearing, if she hasn't signed a consent, the judge would hear evidence bearing upon whether you have the statutory conditions for an adoption without her consent. You would need to offer testimony and other evidence to that effect.

I am surpised by your suggestion that, in Indiana, the adoption can be approved if she has simply failed to respond to the petition (i.e.: "contest" it). I'm not saying that cannot be set up that way, simply that I am unfamiliar with such a process in regard to adoptions.

Do you have an attorney representing you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2011, 03:44 PM

Assuming she gets her attorney consult it only takes a few hours to file a motion contesting the adoption. Did she originally agree and was given a cooling off period to change her mind?
    scared aunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
    No my brother passed away before the baby was born and mom went to jail when she was 4 months old she is now almost 3 mom is in jail until 2013 and yes she only has 30 days to contest then the court will hear my case but it is the 26th and her days are up on the 29th I don't know how long it takes for her to get an lawyer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2011, 05:47 PM

So the adoption is involuntary? You applied for an adoption and she was given 30 days to respond? Does she simply have to disagree with the adoption or does she need to show cause why it shouldn't be granted? Have you actually submitted a petition, do you have an attorney?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A school math contest requires that students complete all 12 problems on the contest [ 3 Answers ]

A school math contest requires that students complete all 12 problems on the contest exam. Each participant receives 5 points for each correctly solved problem and loses 3 points for each incorrect or omitted answer. a. How many problems wer solved correctly by a student who receives a score of...

Can the adopting parent of a child contest an adoption? [ 9 Answers ]

Can the adopting parent of a child contest an adoption? The birth father signed over all of his rights to the child and when the mother left the step father she moved in with biological father. This to me is fraud. Can someone please help me with some facts and guidance.

Stepparent adoption laws in Indiana [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is about to turn four in October. Her biological father has not had any contact with us since she was 11 days old. He is not on the birth certificate and did not sign/fill out the paternity affidavit. I have paperwork showing my the refusal to fill the paternity affidavit out (on my...

Indiana grandparent visitation rights after stepparent adoption [ 1 Answers ]

If bio father terminates his rights does that mean his mothers rights are terminated as well. I've read that she will still have visition because it is a stepparent adoption but I don't want my child around an alcoholic and drug addicts. Not to mention she will still see the man who just signed...

Stepparent adoption in Indiana [ 2 Answers ]

I would like for my husband to adopt my daughter. Her father has not seen her for about a year and a half and has not paid child support for close to 4 years. He knew how to contact her up until about 3 months ago when I changed our # and we moved out of state about 3 weeks ago. I am afraid for him...

View more questions Search