Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe freddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
    How do you rewire phone jack to change from cancelled # to original #
    Originally had 2 phone numbers coming into house. Canceled 1 and want to rewire cancelled #'s jack to accept other number that comes into house so all phone jacks will have same number.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Is this Groundhog Day? You asked the same question last week, got 7 answers, and interacted with most of the responders.

Jul 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    You are right. I did ask this question last week and if I would have gotten an answer that actually worked then I would not be asking it again.
    current pert

Jul 26, 2011, 03:54 PM
    What was wrong with this one:

From the customer side, you need to connect the yellow wire from line 2 to the red wire on line 1 (that's the ring circuit) and the Black wire from line 2 to the Green wire on line 1 (that's the Tip circuit).

You have to help out a little here! First of all you should have added to that thread and second, saying that nothing worked is no help at all. Say what you TRIED.

Jul 27, 2011, 08:39 AM
    I went to the outside terminal box ( customer side) and took the black wire from line 2 and attached it with the green wire of line 1 to the line 1 green terminal. I then attached the yellow from line 2 to the red line 1 terminal. I still have all the jacks of line 1 working but not the jack that preiously had line 2, it still does not get a dial tone. I have tried other phones in jack #2 and they do not work either but all phones work in line 1 jacks.
    current pert

Jul 27, 2011, 09:07 AM
    Have you looked at the jack at the wall where the phone is?
    Sometimes they were wired backwards because it didn't matter then. Try reversing the colors.
    Or it might have to do with how many wires your phone is using, if it has an answering machine built in, etc.

Jul 27, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Yes, that was it... the jack was wired backwards. Now it works. Thanks for sticking with this,I appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    current pert

Jul 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
    YAY! Thanks for letting me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to rewire phone jack to match main phone number [ 10 Answers ]

I had 2 phone lines coming into house and recently cancelled 1. I would like to rewire cancelled # phone jack to receive my other number so all house phones will be on the same line.I have been playing around with the switch over. I have looked at the other house jacks and tried to duplicate still...

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Need to rewire phone jack for dsl [ 5 Answers ]

Need to rewire phone jack for dsl instead of phone.

How to rewire a phone jack? [ 2 Answers ]

When I moved into my house the original owers had comcast for the phone co, so we went with them. Later on we changed back to qwest for better service options and they came out and rewire one of our phone jacks and at the time we only had them to the one in the kitchen and now I need to get 3...

Rewire phone jack for 2 lines [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how simple it was to rewire a phone jack for 2 lines. The phone co. charges $100 to do it. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search