Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hcar11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
    How do I handle my bulimic sister?
    I first found out my sister was suffering from bulimia about five or six years ago. Her friend had told my mom, and my mom told me to watch out for her. After a year or so, she seemed to have stopped, so I stopped watched her so closely. Now, my sister (who is very thin), definitely has some sort of body dysmorphia. She is very critical of her body, and very unhappy with it, which is ridiculous. The past few months, I have noticed that she has been especially critical of herself. She is constantly making comments about how she needs to lose weight, and I have noticed that she has been binge eating, and then going to the bathroom in the house farthest away from where people are. I am pretty certain that she is making herself throw up. I tried to talk about it with her, but as with every other time I tried years ago, she runs away or yells that she doesn't want to talk about it. I tired in the car once, where she couldn't get away, and she just stayed silent and wouldn't say a word. I don't know what to do. I told my mom I was worried with her recent body issues, but not that I knew she was throwing up again. I just don't want my sister to stop talking to me because I have told someone. We are very close. I am just so worried about her and I don't know what I should do. If this has been going on for the past few years, she is probably doing serious damage to her body, and I don't want anything to happen to her.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 PM

Does your mom know what's going on with her? If not, tell her. If so, why hasn't she gotten your sis into counseling?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
    An eating disorder is not something that you are equipped to handle. You need to get an adult involved who can get your sister appropriate help, which can include counseling, physician, a nutritionist, and in or out patient therapy. This sounds like a lot of bring down on a person, but think of it this way... is your sister talking to you worth her life? If your mom knows about the eating disorder, and is not intervening, you may need to approach another trusted adult.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 27, 2011, 09:39 AM

(had to spread the rep wondergirl)

She needs to speak to a professional. Like Kcomissiong said, if your mom isn't taking action, another adult (maybe your dad) needs to. It has been going on for so long now, that she definitely needs some serious therapy.

You're a good sister, and a caring one. The best way to care right now is to let a professional take over.
    hcar11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 11:09 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    My mom doesn't know that it has started up again. And at this point, my sister is 24 years old and I don't know if we can really force her into counseling. I'm not sure if there is really much I can do, which is killing me.
    Zoeynoey Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
    If you know any really high calorie foods that she loves buy them and give them to her or just find a bunch of stories online and tell her what happened to these people and that it is a very serious problem that she could easily die from and get all of the people that she loves the most into the room and have each of them tell her that she needs to stop because if she does die they would miss her do an intervention type thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you know if you're bulimic [ 4 Answers ]

Im a 16 year old girl and i had low self-esteem issues a year ago and i would eat and look at my skinny cousins showing their stomachs off and i guess i made myself feel bad. I then started purging.... i thought it was an okay thing to do but it wasn't. My aunt had went through the same thing and...

So how would you handle your sister not talking to you for 6 months? Don't know why? [ 2 Answers ]

So how would you handle your sister not talking to you for 6 months? Don't know why she is upset? She speaks to a total stranger and tells the stranger that she is my sister and that we have not spoken in a long while. She tells the stranger that she had to remove herself for awhile. I had no...

How do I become bulimic [ 8 Answers ]

:) I'm not crazy I just think I'm overweight I weigh 115 and I am 14 I think that's bad:( I want to at least loose 20lbs. I think I would feel better.. so plzz plzz help:confused:

How to become Bulimic? [ 40 Answers ]

I was wondering on how to become bulimic? I am a little over weight and I need to lose it, and I think that would be the easiest way to lose weight fast. I think I can control myself after I get to the point of where I want to be. I just can't remember what you do. Can anyone help me?

I can't handle my sensitive sister any more [ 6 Answers ]

She's 4 years older than me and she doesn't just have issues, SHE SUBCRIBES! We were good friends growing up and got very close in my teenage and early mid twenties. The I got married (later than all my siblings) at 30 and she has been going through years of pain trying to deal with her feelings...

View more questions Search